Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Kenya, O Praise the Lord in Kenya!

Todd has put his photos on a photo website. Maybe not all of them since I am SURE he took more than that! I gave him my photos, too, and they are not all represented. But of course, mine are not so good.

It is good to be home eating familiar food. It is good to be in my own bed. It is good to drive my own car. The familiar is so good.

But I am thankful I will return to Kenya. I wish I had a house there. Sort of a base camp. I'd like to have a western style house. I think Steve is spoiling me with his Western comfort choices. He gets a rental car and stays at a western style hotel. But I'd also like to have a washer and dryer, a refrigerator, iron, bathtub/shower, toilet, oven/stove top and air conditioner. Gee. Not much sacrifice in that!

but if you are READING, you probably would like to hear about KENYA....not my silly ramblings.
Let's see....

I'm continually thinking of Mary. She is an 8 year old orphan with no father or mother who is living with one of the widows of Joseph's church. I think he is trying to help support the orphans by putting them with the widows and then trying to help them. They've got a school set up to teach them. I asked what kind of student Mary was....the woman looked at me, looked at Mary, put her hand on Mary's head and said, "Not bad." Hmmmnn. Not a good answer. Mama Violet, the widow who cares for her chimed in quickly to add, "She has trouble reading. It hurts her eyes." Mary just stared down at the ground. I had no way to know if she understood English or not. Some do, some don't. I forgot to ask where her living relatives resided. There is always so much happening at once.

I think of Mary several times each day. When they presented songs, she was smiling and singing. I thought she was very pretty. Then Joseph had her stand up along with another girl who lives in the same home as he described the plight of these children to the congregation. After that, I think she was ashamed, embarrassed, or sad about her parents....God knows. Later, I called her and the other to come sit in my lap. I just wanted to take Mary home. I just wished it was that easy. "Here, child. Come with me. Do you want to go to America?" but no----I didn't say such a thing. Besides, she would have difficulties adjusting if I only brought her. The English problem is one thing. And how would she discover herself? but really, I'd take her.

and so I think we will look into adoption procedures there. just in case. although there are plenty of African American children languishing in our own country....still.......who is to say why God favors one of us over another? Who are we to say that Mary shouldn't come here? I hear the arguments. I imagine people saying it is unkind to take her away from her own culture. But what is she going to do there? Maybe if I could bring a couple of the girls over here. but I only want Mary today. I pray for her. I want to find a way to get her to the optometrist and get her some glasses. Hopefully, that is the only problem. She is 8 years old and the normal size for an 8 year old so she's been able to eat, thankfully. Some children are 13 and they look about 7. That's always really bad. They haven't had enough food. It is difficult to see it and know.

We also went to Pastor Steve's church. That was Tuesday. Oh....the schedule went something like this:

Saturday: We arrived in Kisumu by plane. We drove around Kisumu doing business--like going to the bank, going to the lumber yard, and somewhere else. We were driving to Kakamega when Titus' car broke down. We had to go back to Kisumu when we realized we did not have all of Todd's luggage. We headed to Kakamega again and stopped at the Golf Hotel to unload. ( I think!) Then we went to the church compound where we were greeted by singing. Hugs all around and then photos of the children. I don't remember after that.

Sunday: Five hour church service. Patsy made it through the whole thing even though we'd had so much travel and such a busy day on Saturday. God really poured out His Grace. I think we may have gone to see Dr. Kennedy that evening, but maybe he wasn't there. He was going to be back after 6:30pm. I think Steve got to meet with Walter. I was there ( I remember vaguely!)

Monday: Todd and I went to Panadol's church which is really Pastor Stanley's church. Panadol is going to preside over a new church plant coming up. That whole area is really responding to Jesus in greater measure than Titus' dreams! He can barely keep up! He is going to hold a four day revival in the area and then plant churches there.
Maybe on this day we got to see the children in the school. I saw Eunice. Maybe we met Henry? He was in the computer class. Steve met with the computer class. Oh they were so blessed. They were so excited about the opportunity that had come to them. Steve spoke with them at length. I had an opportunity to bless and praise them and encourage them. They had a chance to say thank you. They are just so encouraged that God has brought them this opportunity!! I cannot repeat it enough! Just that one thing alone was such a tremendous blessing. I was glad to be a part of this whole thing.

Tuesday: We went to Pastor Steve's church. His wife is Melab and she is one of my favorite women. She is beautiful and gregarious and she sings. She has a tailoring business. When we drove to the church, they had planted banana trees in our honor lining the road on both sides so you knew which way to turn as you traveled through the dirt roads. Titus said they were honoring us. It was wonderful.
When we got there, they were singing and clapping. We came out and went into the church. There were flower petals all over the ground laid carefully. It was beautiful! and there were small flower plants lining the tables at the front. They presented us with a traditional gourd. I was so happy.
We sang and praised. We sang, When Jesus says yes nobody can say no. I love that song! I love proving nay-sayers WRONG! Jesus is always right. and even when Jesus says no, you can swallow it because He is always right. He's not just a know-it-all, He really is THE KNOW IT ALL!

and my Steve was always doing other things. He did not go out to the churches on Mon, Tues, or Wed. He was meeting with a lawyer to get NGO status in Kenya and things like that. He met with two new guys and hired them as programmers. We are going to set up a FOR profit company which will feed money to the non-profit to keep the medical clinic running and low or no cost for those in need. One of these guys is already programming in Java, which he pulled off the internet as open source code so he could learn. He is very excited about becoming part of Trinity Global. He is taking a pay cut just so he can be connected to what Steve is doing. His name is Frank.

Frank has wanted to go for training at some computer schools in Nairobi, but he says so many of them are quacks. They will charge exorbitant fees for useless knowledge--but you won't know it is useless until after you have finished paying and try to get a job with those skills. There is no point in it. Unless you already know what you need, you will be clueless and they can take advantage of you. At last, Frank felt he was going to be connected with someone who knew how the western world did business. He was grateful and very excited about it.

Maybe on that night we also met with Dr. Kennedy and showed him the packing list of the medical supplies from Medical Bridges. He was amazed and wanted all of it. He brought Edwin, the pharmacist along. They reviewed the list going through it line by line on Steve's computer. Edwin said it will be the only medical hospital of its kind outside of Nairobi.

That night we also worked out the plans to have Todd come back and do a mobile medical clinic for a summer mission trip from Austin Stone community church. We learned that for $2000, we could set up a 2 day clinic ready to see 600 people per day with 10 different medical professionals--doctors, nurses, eye doctors, dentist, and pharmacists. That is a great bargain! OH HOW I WISH I HAD A FEW THOUSAND TO BUY THAT EVERY OTHER MONTH!!!!

But God will provide.

I'm being faithful to all I am called to do-- I must just keep walking in the light He gives me. I have to focus on obedience to what I CAN do right now. and even do what I cannot do --if He asks it of me.

But my heart leapt! It did summersaults and cartwheels. It did fireworks shows and musical dance pieces. Man....I really need to be a more laid back kind of girl. but it just aint happenin' these days.

:-D

So, Todd is bringing information to Joey Shaw and Ryan King at Austin Stone and they will decide how to proceed. Todd will bring a group of young people on one trip.....then one of those young people will be raised up as a leader for the next trip. Both of those will take place this summer. I think they are going to see how that goes and then determine their future plans based on the success of those visits.

I know they will be AMAZING!!! (i am tempted to make this be in 24 font or something!)


God is so good!

What else?

The school is going well.
Children fed twice a day. several teachers now. This is all great. I think another church is paying for renovations on the building.

Medical clinic has two potential nurses, but they have to be cleared by Dr. Kennedy pending review of their documentation. We have the Medical Bridges 100,000 worth of equipment which we bought for $8000 already. Now we are working on shipping (we foolishly assumed that they were including shipping! ha! NOW we know.) and Titus is working on getting us tax exemption and a guarantee of it going through customs. Then we'll store it in Nairobi until we complete the building, hopefully by May.

We intend to go again in May. I finish my classes by May 15. Geesh, we will be married 27 years by May 26th. What a great way to celebrate!!

okay......I think I write too long. It discourages reading. darn.

More later!

No comments: