Sunday, January 24, 2010

Mary, a double orphan in Eubulecha Church







Mary and Brenda sit on my lap. I called them over to me because they are just so cute. Pastor Joseph prepared a presentation for me. The children all sang, some recited scripture, some recited poetry, some did a special dance (oh! four year olds doing African dancing is absolutely enthralling.)

I learned that Mary is an orphan. We took pictures of each one of them and took their names. There were more than 15. Maybe 20? and that is in addition to the 91 orphans from the other churches who were at the big church on Saturday when we did tried to get them all listed. Mom has the list and I need to get it from her. I wanted to try to get sponsors for some of the children. Even 10 a month goes so far there!I especially wanted to find someone to help Mary. and of course, I was determined that if no one cared, I would surely support this girl myself. I have been praying...


I got a sponsor for Mary today. MY DAUGHTER LAURA!! NOTHING MORE PRECIOUS THAN THAT! because Mary has been haunting my heart. I am so burdened for her. Where are her parents? How did they die? why didn't some relative take her in? She must feel so outcast! She is only 8.




Mary isn't alone in her predicament. Maybe there is some comfort in that? I can't imagine. What could be the identity of communal orphans? How do they think of themselves? When parents die, children feel abandoned. But then the other girl in the picture and others like her......she has one parent living. Who is that parent? Where are they? Why does this little girl live with a non-relative. It is perplexing. It must be very painful. I always had my two parents. I can't imagine life without your own two parents who take care of you. Yet there are many orphaned and not just from AIDS. People are always saying, "so many orphaned by AIDS" but when you actually find out that this one is because both parents died in a car accident. Or they died from Malaria. Everyone just assumes it is AIDS now because there are so many AIDS cases.
There is a girl named Sharon who is an orphan of AIDS. She is nearly 13 and she is only the size of an 8 year old. She has terrible little white bumps all over her. She is a cheerful girl and seems smart. She has no one. Who will advocate for this one?




Many Christians in Kenya take people in. There is so much poverty. So much loss. Those who have even a little will share with others (at least in most Christian communities.)




and so four widows have taken in around four children each. I know a little of Mama Violet (the picture of the woman in....violet!)..... She is mother to a man I prayed for---His wife is Praxcidia. (Praxcidia is in the picture with me and her children. She was pregant with Emmanual on my first visit when I prayed for her husband.)




Violet's son cannot help her. He is usually in the hospital with AIDS. He spent four months there. He is still living. Most likely he does not work at all--Although Praxcidia and her children look healthy. That's a good sign.
But Violet has taken in four children and three other widows have taken in children and I am praying for God to prosper and save them. I am praying for sponsors for the children and for the widows. I am praying that the children get books to go to school. There is no one to help them get an education. Those children rely on strangers.
But I am so thankful my daughter has heard the call to meet the needs of a young girl she has never met before. May God stir our hearts and I pray that Mary and Brenda find Him in this world and live forever in the next.










No comments: