Friday, November 02, 2012

blessed again

I now have internet access. This blows my mind.

I think I am reeling from too much adventure.

Flight 3506 out of LaGuardia was available this morning at 6am, but with gas shortages and flooding in the area, I made the collective decision with my father to remain home on Long Island rather than sing Happy 80th Birthday today in Port Townsend, WA.

Sarah's boyfriend lost everything. The flood waters rose chest level into his house in Copiague, west of us. She has had to work the last two days but has still been going over trying to clean the place out.

My friends (Jianwen, Olive, and Candy) are still without power. The gas lines are horrible.

Before the storm, I loaded the Hurricane App from the Red Cross which tells you what to do before, during and after a hurricane. Like....put an ax in your attic in case you need to bust through the roof for rescue. Fill your tank with gas because when the power goes out, the gas cannot be pumped. Go to the ATM and get plenty of cash because the ATM won't work either and you will have to purchase everything with cash.

We also loaded up with water, flashlights and batteries, non-perishable foods.

You cannot imagine how much you want to eat when you wait for a hurricane! and then during a hurricane. and then after a hurricane. The anxiety as you monitor the situation and WAIT WAIT WAIT make you want to eat, eat, eat. I REALLY slept deeply the night of the hurricane because I had been furiously preparing all through the day even as we were moving our stuff from one house to the next.

Thanks to Jianwen and Jun for coming over and helping me get all those lawn chairs laid against the fence at BOTH houses. Plus helping pack the kitchen. Ben was a super hero keeping up with Steve ALL DAY LONG moving gigantic heavy furniture. DOWN the stairs, into the truck, around the corner and back UPSTAIRS again. ugh! over and over and over and over and over.

prayers for the families must continue. I feel so traumatized today, as it all sinks in. You really have to just put one foot in front of the other and keep working! But for me, the luxury of a rest day. I already went back to bed for an extra snooze. There is so much unpacking to do here, but how blessed I am that my pets are here in the warmed house and my daughter is able to drive to work and my husband, too. Even that the work places are up and available helps keep life on a normal pattern that many cannot experience. Schools are closed and parents aren't able to work even if their office is open.

we are SO thankful for all the electric people, grocery stores, tree people and helpers who are working through this terrible storm. So many people got their streets cleaned up relatively quickly out here where the damage was mainly trees. I got my electricity back on within 24 hours.

Even with nearly perfect conditions for us, it was still disturbing.....so each day more prayer to our God who is with us always to strengthen and save those who are hurting and suffering. May His Love be manifest to all the poor and powerless, all the lost and lonely. I'm singing a song of hallelujah in the hope of the better day when the saints stand before the Throne of God. May many bow their knees now and find gratitude for the Great Creator God who made them and who gives them steadfast love and endurance. Mercy for all the sweet and innocent animals who are displaced and may every one of compromised mental states (I think of the story of the husband who could not move his wife because she has alzheimer's) be transported emotionally into the spirit realm where angels attend them.

I know these things may seem weird but the far reaching effects on EACH individual here is like a spider web of interconnectness. We feel the enormity of it all and I pray we value each life. May New Yorkers and those in New Jersey grow in patience and respect for one another in Jesus name.

No comments: