Friday, February 12, 2010

Orphans came to get their photos taken in hopes of getting sponsors. (girl in fushia/white dress is not an orphan)
Pastor Steve and wife Melab. The difference after preaching about displaying affection to your wife. I think he's got it down now! (above picture is the AFTER. below picture is BEFORE--when my husband told him to get close to his wife and show affection.....he just stood far off and stretched his hands towards her. My Steve said, "No, you look like you are praying for her...get closer." and Pastor Steve took one step closer and this is how that looked...)


I'm getting excited to return to Western Kenya, East Africa. I have tickets on hold while I check the dates. I'm taking Doug as a gift to my friend Cindy who passed away in March of last year. Cindy wanted to serve on the mission field. She wanted to become a doctor. She earned her Masters in Biology and was studying for the MCAT.
At the funeral, I told her son Doug I'd like to take him to Kenya with me as in her honor. Turns out Doug tells me he was called to Africa as a child. He's never understood it, so it is curious that now he will be going there. It is life changing, for sure.
I couldn't sleep last night. I was texting Titus (in Kenya) before bed. Steve wanted to know about buying a house in Kenya.
Steve is saying that he'd like a house where we could stay when we come frequently and a place where visitors could stay. I would like to have a washer and dryer, oven/stove top, refridgerator, shower, toilets, running water, electricity, and Steve wants all that and air conditioning.
So I was asking Titus about that and about the cost of a pick up truck. We would like to have an ambulance for the clinic and a way to have a mobile clinic that could go out frequently. He was texting back about the truck saying it was about 1,200,000 shillings ($16,000) and i thought he meant the house.
OH MY! we'd love to buy a house for 16,000! But that was too good to be true, of course. We could have a mud hut, I'm sure, for the low low price of about $2,400. But that is probably with a thatched roof---too tempting for the mosquitos though. So you need a tin roof, but that is so costly! It is about $2400 just for a bit of roof!
and you know, i'd rather build wells if I were going to spend like that.
but I also know that if I bring people over there, they will fall in love, like I did, and they will be so delighted and filled with joy to give to such wonderful and needy friends that an investment in a house could bring great rewards to the people of those surrounding communities.
I'd also like to set up some way for medical students to come and do internships with the hospitals there. They would learn so much about tropical medicine ---and be a great help in the process. Plus, their dollars for the priviledge would go back into helping the community.
I will be working on setting that up as time goes by.
There are so many plans in my head and I need to be thinking about physiology. I have a pharmacology exam on Monday and a physiology exam on Tuesday---and it is Valentine's weekend! Steve's taking me to Trulucks and the Ballet! Very exciting. but even better is taking me to Kenya for the summer!
I have a trip planned. Contact me if you are interested in going. It is worth the investment for the eternal rewards.


No comments: