Sunday, February 28, 2010



I just finished making some promotional materials. How I want to promote our people! We have excellent Kenyan employees. We have 60 laborers working on the building. and now we have taken photos of nearly 200 orphans in hopes of reaching your heart. Todd (in the photo above) did a great job. I'm not sure a photo captures the hearts of these children--so I wish I had made more video.

For 25 a month, the family that has taken the child into their home will be able to buy food for all. This substantially improves the outcome for all of them and assures the orphan a family even in hard times.

I'm not sure what we consider as poverty--but this is it.
Assured access to clean water is limited. Food is possible, but perhaps they don't eat every day. Many people live above that and always have food and water. They may even have plenty of clothes (although there are many who do not have enough clothing)--but medical care is a problem.

What they DO have is abundant community. Not everyone loves each other, as evidenced by two recent killings. One young man of 19 walked by the sugar cane and pulled off a stalk to eat (nearly universal practice there) and the owner killed him.Another woman lost her husband but she had land through him. His brother wanted the land so he stabbed her to death. The children grow up in this atmosphere. It hurts me.

When I go there, I see only the good. Everyone rejoicing. I know it is not that way all the time. I want to commune with them---not just come in like a tourist for a week or two.
Soon. Soon I'll be there.

No comments: