Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Erick's Testimony--Scroll down for his picture....

Am Erick, I was born in a very small and pour family within Kakamega District, western province part of Kenya. I lost my father and mother at the age of 4 and 5 consecutively and therefore I did not enjoy the parental love and care. My dad was polygamous, He had three wives and my mother happened to be the small woman and I was the only child from my mom. I stayed with my step mother who did some menial works in farming to keep me, her four children and my six step-brothers of her deceased co-wife. We hardly had meals in a day and we found it a problem to get basic needs like clothing and shelter.


I was thereafter adopted by my paternal uncle who was also not financially stable to fully sustain my studies and basic needs as well even though he wished to. My uncle’s family was God fearing and this made me to know Jesus at the age of 10 years. We went to church every Sunday and my uncle used to encourage and motivate me. I therefore recognized the magnitude of God at my early stage, by seeing many things He had done in my life. Whenever I was either spiritually or physically wounded he comforted me and gave me hope in life. This kind of life transformed me to a hard and strong young boy in the locality.

Despite the problems and difficulties I faced, I kept pushing on and working hard both at school and home. I used to help the family in doing some of jobs like washing, digging, cleaning the compound and more others. My hard-work brought me some opportunities for example through good performance at school, a well wisher stepped in to help me in paying school fees. This man of God paid my primary and secondary school fees. However, I used to guard his home, look after his animals, guard his farm, cleaning and some other manual jobs within his compound. However, the breakthroughs and experience made me to realize that the created universe is all about glory of God.

I stayed a prisoner life because I could not express myself or suggest any thing myself even if the thing had to affect my life, this kind of hostile environment scorned and intimidated me so much, but I prayed to God for freedom. My sharp brain made teachers to like me and always used me as an example to teach others. After my forth form course, I stayed home for two years jobless only to meet small opportunities that could come on my way like digging, weeding, harvesting and house construction for money.

In the year 2010 I was enrolled in the tgd community computer training where I studied computer packages and thereafter am studying computer programming course. This has involved some of programming languages like: html, xhtml, css, sql, C#, Asp.net among others. I also learned some other skills like: picture managing, web applications, Leadership skills by John Maxwell just to mention but few. At first, programming seemed to be so hard but when I deed it now and then, it has become fun in life. I therefore like it and I ask God to open the ways for tgd Kenyan programming team to start applying programming skills and knowledge in the daily life scenarios.

Apart from learning, I got an opportunity to work in the orphan’s project whereby I and my friends ensures that we visit orphans’ homes and find out some of basic things they need e:g food, medical, clothing, bedding and more others. We also visit them at schools and find out their curricular activities, education progress and challenges for instance, school fees, school uniform, course books, and shoes. By the fact that I grew up as an orphan, I stand a chance to understand very well problems affecting our orphans.

I not only monitor their physical growth but also encourage and motivate their spiritual development. I always tell them that God has a purpose for them and that Jesus is the father of orphans. My testimony sounds a blessing and miraculously encouraging to them thus giving them a step of faith and hope in life. I have a passion in serving them. I love and care for our orphans. Working with orphans is now part and parcel of my life because I enjoy being close to them as my brothers and sisters. Before I joined in the computer classes for my studies, I was very childish and I had fear to even speak before people, but I thank God because am now transformed in a new object that can boldly speak and express myself before congregations. This only happened after several lessons from good speakers like Stephanie, Steve and many other skilled speakers who taught me communication skills.

In addition, I advocate for the rights of orphans and weakened. Right now I stay with my Grandmother who initially found it rough to fully sustain her family of 6 grandchildren inclusive of me, but she now found it ease because of my support. I basically help the family in making decisions, buying food and many other social and basic issues. However, I glorify the lord because of the great transformation in my life because I see a great change and global growth in me spiritually, physically mentally and socially which gives me something to tell other people about God. This transformation has made me to be resourceful in the community, hence realizing leadership and development potential in me.

On 5th October, Mama Stephanie gave us a very wonderful talk; she encouraged us through her testimony. I learned that hard work pays and that God raises His people from very low background to a high level no matter what. Very many youth were happy, blessed and felt that Mama comes and to speak to us more. This is because many of us run short of faith and wisdom but such teachings gives hope and builds youths’ motives in working for God. However, I reflected my life and tried to compare with the teachings and realized that the teachings came to me at the right time, because I had lost hope in life and seen myself to be inferior.

Last but not list, God gave us a good team in Kenya which promotes love and unit. We don’t work to compete but to complete one another. We work and follow the footsteps of our fore leaders for instance Frank, Joseph and Henry who harmoniously work to make sure that we grow and perfect in our areas of profession. We see God’s manifestation of love and caring in the community and we wait to see what He has in stalk for us. I humbly take this golden opportunity to also thank the Almighty who inspired Mama Stephanie, Steve, Kevin, Pastor Ade, Anita as tgd vision bearers and other sponsors who came and brought light that will save lives of many Kenyans. I pray God to give them long lives, protect their families and bless works of their hands. Yours Erick.





No comments: