Saturday, July 21, 2012

Cape Cod

Driving home from Cape Cod took a miserable 8 hours, but I added three states and learned our Port Jefferson ferry system to Connecticut. Steve says he wants to see Boston and walk the Freedom Trail, but he really likes to stay home. We'll see!
Did my first Northeastern beaches experience. As a good American, I intend to buy some beach chairs, an umbrella and a special beach cart for all the stuff. With an umbrella, I can sit in the SHADE!! The waves came spilling onto the sand, making me happy.
Thanks to Anne and Sheila for letting me come up and stay in their little beach house! We were so close to the beach we just crossed the street. We stayed in South Yarmouth at The Village Green Hotel which did not have air conditioning but it wasn't needed. Especially for me. I wore a jacket as the gray skies and soft winds chilled me easily. Our main day had a nice sun after 12 noon as the temperature approached 80. I was able to be in a swimsuit and a sarong without socks or a blanket.
THE UMBRELLA REALLY MAKES IT FOR ME!
I'm really into the umbrella.
and my friends!
New friend, Anne, from Boston. Anne loves swimming in the sea. She waded out to some rough waves and would leap up as the waved tried to crash over her and then she'd bob out there until the next one formed. She's an extrovert and told me all about the people at the beach whom she had met on her first day there (I came that evening.) We had so much fun! I plan to vist her when (if) we go to the freedom trail and she will visit me when she comes to Long Island with a friend in September. SOMETHING GREAT TO LOOK FORWARD TO!
It was great to see Sheila! I have invited her to join me on my China trip with Jianwen on October 10-20th. An easy travel companion, Sheila says you don't have to ask her a few questions: Does she like that food? (She likes all foods.) Does she want to eat? (She always wants to eat.) and does she want to stop at the bathroom? (yes, thank you.)
We can talk all day about Kenya, world travel, Jesus, God's Word, food, people in general. Sheila is an extrovert, too, so it was good to know I was with two extroverts who always think the more the merrier! (Introverts could have felt imposed upon.)
We talked about laughing. That was funny! and we laughed. That's always fun. It made me wish I was as fun as Brenda Metzner and Debbie Booher. Those women make me LAUGH! I like to imagine myself with Brenda, Debbie, and Christa Horst.
Christa is so fun because she will get up and sing spontaneously--she will sing AND dance! And she is an easy laugher. (is that a word?) So imagine Brenda (she makes me laugh so hard my cheeks burn from muscle fatigue,) being so clever (I don't know how she does it) and Debbie and I--well, i don't even know what we talk about that makes us laugh hysterically because we might also cry from emotional pain during that same visit! (so that's fun because, hey, you get the whole range of emotion in less than 3 hours.) And imagine Christa there. Well, I think if you gave us each a glass of wine (which we never need to get a high octane high! double high! add something extra and you go to the moon!) we might die from laughing. Seems like an amazing way to go, yeah?
So I loved being with Anne and Sheila. I don't know what we were laughing about, but we were playing Mexican Trains (Camilla taught me that one!) and I was so happy to be there that I just got loud and forgot that the windows were open in our tiny cabin, but then it was funny so I yelled out the window. Just a happy yell. Thanks, friends! :-)
We were at South Yarmouth but drove up to a beach closer to the tip (the pilgrims first landed on the tip.) We went to Coast Guard Beach just past Salt Point somethingrather. The waves were big there. Sheila did a beach walk because she is a adventure missionary and she's got to keep burning those calories (since she loves eating!) and she has to stay strong. We went back to the beach close to the hotel later because we could go so quickly without having much with us and the walk from the street to the waves was short. I liked that! I'm not too good walking in the sand! But I tried sprinting on the sand--MUCH BETTER but I really got winded. whew. work.
We watched people parasail (how do you spell that?) and we saw the cutest little seal or seals. He would pop his little head up and watch some surfers. cute cute. We prayed as we talked (Thanks, Anne!) We drove by cute houses.
The Cape Cod style was everywhere, duh. But I have those shingles on the back of my house and they aren't my fave, until now. I really liked seeing the Cape Cod style in so many forms and so often and realized that it was a cultural distinction, which made me really appreciate it more. I see the beauty now.
Lastly, when I drove home, there were bottlenecks everywhere. Traffic was as slow as elderly snails on a death march (against their will!) what could have taken three hours, took six. Then include the ferry to Long Island and the drive from the North Shore to the South Shore--it took eight hours. oooooooh. But I am thankful for it. And although driving through Port Jefferson was familiar, it was also very dark, curvy and lacking good lighting making me remain hypervigilent to the driving conditions as I navigated my way to.......................NICHOLS ROAD!
MY FAVORITE FAMILIAR ROADWAY.
I drive from South Shore to the Northern portion of the island at least three times a week as I go to Whole Foods (45 min drive and I often go to the bank to deposit TGD donations THANK YOU!!) so I love love loved loved loved thankfully loved being on a familiar road. FAMILIARITY WAS NEVER SO BEAUTIFUL IN MY LIFE AS IT IS RIGHT NOW!
ahhhhhh.

you have no idea how much time you save by knowing where you are going.
plus, as you go, you can relax and think of other things.
not me.
but okay.
God knows where I am supposed to be and I love Him.
I'm thankful to have been here six months now and actually have a couple of pathways that are mine.
yay!

and it was SOOOO GOOD to hang out with women and talk. and talk. and talk. and talk. and talk.
ahhhhhh.

Thank you, Jesus!

Thank you, Sheila and Anne!

Thank you, Steve, for letting me go!

I loved it!

No comments: