Tuesday, July 24, 2012

weather

I'm filled with thoughts. I wanted to write about the weather. It was 95 today! Praise the Lord! I didn't have to use my car's seat warmer. I can't believe how cold the summer is here. Even Cape Cod--77 degrees and very little sun. The weather used to seem like a dumb topic, but one you could discuss with strangers. Then I went to Evanston, Ill so long ago and learned that even in horrible weather, you all experience it together. I relented and began to comment to strangers just to be daring. Oh and then I moved to Chicago AGAIN. I was really upbeat on that 2011 move--all about Victory in Jesus! I was armed with my coats/hats/gloves and the comment by Dan McAdams, "There is no bad weather, only bad dressers." (referring to stupidity in clothing for the chilled.) And I think I was okay. I remember, however, during Dec and January, our transition months. I knew New York was coming. What would New York be like???? and the cold in our Barrington, IL yard. The chilling cold. The arctic cold that didn't touch me because I was so insulated in about seven holy layers of clothing, but it existed as a tangible object before me, all around me, entering my lungs through my breath. whoa. and now.....here I am IN JULY. Yes, July. and really, I've been quite chilled most of the time. Today was so wonderful!! With Steve heading into Manhattan, the air conditioners were not set so low. Besides, it took us all these months to figure out where they hid the controls and what they went to or where. Silly, chilly me.
Even as I rejoice in this welcome warmth, I'm planning. Winter is coming. Shoot, I bet it will be here next week! and they tell me that last winter was a freak warm one. Yes, my little body of water out back never even froze, but it will. Ouch. Super ouch. Will Jesus be the fire of love within me keeping me warm? Will my suffering be somehow glorifying to Him? Can He somehow show me how to glorify Him in this? If it means not complaining, I don't think He will get any glory. But hey, He is a miracle God.
I remember a precious friend who was from Mississippi, moved to Arkansas when I did, and then was doing graduate work on a shoe string in Wisconsin. She told me, "Stephanie. Hell is not hot. Hell is cold. It is very, very...cold." and I was horrified. I do think flames sound better! (I do not intend to arrive in Hell since Jesus showed me He already died to buy my ticket out of there! How I love and adore someone so good to a worthless, whiny cold girl!)

I even wrote that and suddenly, I am cold. Which leads me to suspect I must not dwell on this topic anymore! It is making things worse! brrrrrr.

No comments: