Monday, May 31, 2010

I'm HERE!


Already things are moving so fast I can barely remember. We are so thankful for prayers for our safety. Our plane from Nairobi to Kisumu was speeding down the runway for lift off and the whole plane seemed to be vibrating and making loud noises. The plane began to slow. I was praying we had enough runway if we were going to come to a stop.--we did! Turns out we had a flat tire. How thankful I am that it blew on takeoff rather than landing!!
We were taken back to the airport on a bus until another plane was arranged. it all worked out fine.
We headed out to Eubulechia. They were having a womens meeting. OH it was good to see friends! I wish I could talk more! but I know so many names, now. It was just me and Medine. We were so happy!
Afterwards, Titus took me to see Deacon Bernard's church. It was destroyed from the flooding and rains. Many homes had damage, but his was the whole side and part of the roof. They can't live in there until it is repaired. He has a wife and two children.
Oh My! The blooger connection is failing. I pray I don't lose this blog.
I got to see Mary, the orphan Laura sponsors. I met two other girls, Diana and Celestine (?)
Diana is 13 or 14. I forget right now. but she is not happy living with her aunt. there are other children in the home. she wants to go to school. she does not always have fees. she needs $50 US dollars to get her whole uniform, there are book fees and school fees.
So Joseph thinks we might need to bring the children to one place so the funds go right to them. She wants to go to school to be a lawyer. She wants to go to school.
the other girl, too. She wants to go to school. they both looked pretty sad. and they were not thrilled to talk to me. they seemed embarrassed or ashamed. Diana likes Ugali and she likes reading storybooks. Celestine likes football.
The problem is that we were TRYING to keep them in HOMES! but we may not be able to get them fair treatment in homes. they work like house girls taking care of the children, gathering firewood, fetching water, washing clothes. It is not the end of the world for them to work as housegirls. but they are without representatives in this world.
It rained while we were at Mahalerie church. they brought a P.A. system out there and it was crazy to see them stringing a wire between mud huts!!
Oh we went to a funeral. It was a six week old child who died of malaria within 8 hours. The mother had malaria when she gave birth, too. it was so sad. the little baby was so perfect. we went and greeted the mother and laid hands

No comments: