Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Tuesday June 1st

We went to a funeral for a sweet little baby the other day. It was so sad. The baby was six weeks old. She caught malaria and they took her to the hospital but she was dead on arrival. She had only been sick for 8 hours. She was so perfect and beautiful, appearing to rest in sleep in her little crib coffin. We comforted the mother who was dazed and heavy with grief. We prayed over the couple. Will and Jackie still have a beautiful little girl about 3 years old. God protect them. The mother has had malaria, too, and is very sick and weak.
The whole church turned out and had church in their yard.

Yesterday we bought Bibles for the pastors with the money donated to Anita. We drove over those outrageous potholes that boggle the mind --and the body! Doug and Sarah and I went over old memories and their childhood stories. How I loved those days! I loved being a mother of little children even as I looked forward to a future with them older. Times seemed easy then, before teenagers. And now, with all of mine out of the teens, life is so good and easy again. What a blessing.

I lost my voice yesterday. I didn't go with Medine and Anita to the other new church, but I go to one today. How will I speak? one plan is to have someone stand up and read John ...I think ch 14, 15 but I can't remember. read one verse in Luyha, read it in swahili, have them repeat the verse in one language (asking pastor) and then silence to ponder it. then read it in English. I might do it this way. read it in english, then luhya, then swahili--they repeat in swahili, then a pause to consider. then next verse.
we'll see what God does. that way I don't have to speak, though, but we still preach the Bible. I am relying on God. He is my strength.

Pray for us for strength and health. There is so much sickness here this time. So many hurting. May God remember the orphan and the widow. More on that later, God willing.

one guy testified that he used to steal men's wives, but now he is saved and no longer has a temper. another used to rob people at gunpoint and his partner would make people dig a grave and then bury them alive. His partner died, but he went came to Jesus and is now a pastor. Many are blessed by his change, but some who remember were very afraid of him still.


No comments: