Sunday, August 08, 2010

Dr. Karen Woo


“Nothing in life is for sure, nothing that you see today will always be here tomorrow,” she wrote. “All of these people come to Afghanistan of their own volition, they come knowing that they may pay with their lives, the black humour is rife, a good way to keep the apprehension low, to keep calm and carry on. Perhaps no one ever expects it to be them, perhaps not their immediate friends either, it always some poor unknown person, a local national, a third country national.

“We count those that matter to us. We say that we are prepared for the loss whatever that may be but is it ever possible to be so? To be so prepared is that at polar opposites to the decision to be there in the first place, that somehow, it will never be me or anyone close to me.” --Dr. Karen Woo

Wisdom. True. I always imagine some heroic death, but am I really prepared to meet it? I don't know. I suppose I figure that I'd be too lucky to die the death of a hero, so likely I will live on.
Rev 12
11 They overcame him
by the blood of the Lamb
and by the word of their testimony;
they did not love their lives so much
as to shrink from death.
I think it is important to face death boldly. It is a transition, not an end. And I am looking forward to the other side.

No comments: