Sunday, September 22, 2013

Trophosa


My heart has been aching for Trophosa.
In January 2010, I was in Kenya and asked my visitor, Todd White, a photographer, to capture the likeness of some of the children there so we could support some of them. Out of 102 photos, I randomly picked 20 after a little prayer and asked Pastor Joseph to find these children. The Cornerstone area of influence is vast and remote, so it entailed plenty of searching and travel. On my return, Pastor Stanley and others took me around to interview the children that I had chosen.
I remember how difficult it was to get to Trophosa's house. The road turned into maybe just clearings and we drove off over large rocks. It seemed perilous by car! But I was patient. We were in the Bush.
As we arrived, neighbors came to see the sight of the muzungu (me.) They stood around smiling and grouped maybe ten feet away, whispering amongst themselves. Someone retrieved Silas and Trophosa.
Trophosa was a young girl of about 13. She was quiet and shy and gentle. Many girls in Kenya are shy and quiet and gentle, but for Trophosa, they were true personality characteristics. She looked up at me with wide, lonely barren eyes. Really, she did not want to be hopeful. When I asked her who she lived with and what she liked to do in school, she answered dutifully. When I asked her what she would like to have, she looked at me so sincerely and very humbly, not quite ashamed, but very honest, with a gulp. "Can I have some food?" Yes. Yes, we will get you food.
and now this sweet baby of mine has gotten pregnant.
and I stood before the Lord in my heart to say, "What to do?" and felt only compassion and a longing to comfort her.
Love covers a multitude of sins.
Mercy triumphs over judgment.
 
11 “Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? 12 Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? 13 If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”
 
“Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared. “Go now and leave your life of sin.”

13 “But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’

6 The punishment inflicted on him by the majority is sufficient. 7 Now instead, you ought to forgive and comfort him, so that he will not be overwhelmed by excessive sorrow. 8 I urge you, therefore, to reaffirm your love for him.



Now in all these things I cannot say that we have a "policy" of supporting all of our unwed mothers. Rather, every case must be reviewed. I do not think our girls will go get pregnant on the basis of this case. Either they will preserve themselves morally, or they will not. This is between them and the Lord. They lose much by a birth without the father in a land of poverty where women have little identity. The child usually goes to the father's family or to some auntie so the girl can marry someone in the future. This is the land of survival.

Some will question my position on this young woman and others will question when I exclude this one or that one. It is favoritism by the Holy Spirit. If God gives me a motivation to pursue a young mother, then I will. If I sense no calling there, then I won't. There are FAR TOO MANY NEEDY PEOPLE in Kenya for me to bring in each one we meet. It requires choosing which means to some I say, "I am sorry." And I am VERY sorry, for I would love to help everyone in their time on this earth but as far as I am able, I will do for those within my care and will enlarge my capacity to help more.

The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me,
because the Lord has anointed me
to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners,[a]
2 to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor
and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn,
3 and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
instead of ashes,
the oil of joy
instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
a planting of the Lord
for the display of his splendor.

4 They will rebuild the ancient ruins
and restore the places long devastated;
they will renew the ruined cities
that have been devastated for generations.
5 Strangers will shepherd your flocks;
foreigners will work your fields and vineyards.
6 And you will be called priests of the Lord,
you will be named ministers of our God.
You will feed on the wealth of nations,
and in their riches you will boast.

7 Instead of your shame
you will receive a double portion,
and instead of disgrace
you will rejoice in your inheritance.
And so you will inherit a double portion in your land,
and everlasting joy will be yours.


No comments: