Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The Blue Skies of Brazil!


Oh Brazil was great! I suppose I've enjoyed everyplace I've ever gone, though, so how to measure it? Well, the weather was fantastic. It was cool, but in no way cold. Wearing a jacket meant that you were perfectly comfortable. One day I went grocery shopping with Gabriela and Claudia and we took our coats off because it was so warm and opened the car windows.

The greenery was fabulous, I so love plants and trees. Thinking about how barren it is in the Northern U.S. winters makes me shudder.

The people were so friendly and that was everywhere, not just those who knew us and it wasn't just service people. The books said the people of Brazil were friendly and I agree. Everyone was patient when you don't speak the language and help you out as best they can. Most things end up right. You have to take some chances when you order food, though. And since you can't drink the water, you end up drinking so much less water than normal that you feel parched. Plus, I was taking ibuprofen round the clock for a headache that really went loud on Tuesday and I was bedridden (only one day, so what! I consider it a rest day). The yellow fever immunization side effect is flu feelings 7 to 10 days later. You can never tell with me, though, as I get mysteriously ill feeling periodically. Kind of generic yuk and fatigued. I think it is just being so high strung that occasionally my body says NO! LAY DOWN!
But then it might be that I am just lazy and can't do all the work I really need and want to do (or don't want to do ---if it means housework).

And the food there was great. Lots of Steak and Pizza, as I mentioned in my kodak gallery. And we got gifts! That's always fun. I got gifts in China and India, too. We are not too gift giving here in America, but we'll give some gifts when they come up here to work.
Which reminds me that Eliza, Elisa? someone is here now. I need to take her out or something. One of the workers said she was in U.S. for four weeks and was only taken out two times. Then when she left, they gave her a little going away party at work and gave her a gift book of sites to see in Texas (OUCH! how embarrassing!). Well, I told her if she gets to come back before I head north, then I will be sure and take her around a few places!!!

The architecture was neat! So many different styles. So many colors. And pets everywhere. In the nicer district there are fancy puppies on leashes, in the lesser areas there are dogs, cats, and horses loose.

We didn't see much of the poor at all. There were cart pullers who pick up trash and that is about it. There were a few beggars, but NOTHING like in Austin. I just saw a couple, one a child.
There was every convenience available, we did not go without. Our hotel was luxurious and we were pampered.

I think it would be better to rent a car and drive, though, because I had no idea where we were geographically at any time. I prefer to map out the roads and find things and know where I am. It leads me to a more defined feeling of knowing about a place. So that is on the books for next time. AND I will faithfully take my camera everywhere I go and carry it in a big purse. I didn't take my good camera because the guide book said it would be stolen---but I'll take the risk next time and bring my computer and cord so that I download each day. One of my worst travel moments was getting my camera case stolen in London with three or four rolls of film and all the pictures from Ireland. I didn't care about the camera---that is replaceable, but I lost those photos forever.

Back to the grindstone and to my children. Responsibility....does it ever end? Do I want it to? I am so lazy, I do not even want to exercise to save my own life. But I felt physically miserable on the trip and could not figure out how to feel better. Still, it was great fun and I love new places. More soon.....

No comments: