Sunday, November 28, 2010

BOOK LIST

Here are some good books to read this winter and get the feel of Kenya. Amazon.com can help ya:

An Imperfect Offering: Humanitarian Action for the Twenty-First Century -James Orbinski. This is a great book by a past president of Doctors without Borders. I love those folks! It actually talks most about Rwanda, but you get the feel for the continent here.

Six months in Sudan: A young doctor in a war-torn village. by James Maskalyk. Another one not specific to Kenya but wow, so moving.

Don't let's go to the dogs tonight: An African childhood by Alexandra Fuller. My Dad's girlfriend (whom I adore) told me this is her favorite book. It was intense! This girl had parents who neglected her but she has no bitterness but really tells how it went. It is an emotional look at Africa.

God grew tired of us: A memoir. by John Bul Dau. A story of Sudan. This was one of my early reads and I really enjoyed it. The pain in Africa is so real and felt by so many. It gives you a window into their world.

A long way gone: Memoirs of a boy soldier. by Ishmael Beah. These stories STINK! I mean, the stuff these guys go through. All their family killed. The horror of it. Where to go. Getting drugged and learning brutality when dragged into an army. It's horrible. it's real for many boys. It ruins people.

Tick Bite Fever by David Bennun. You know, when you are on those 24 hour flights to Kenya, you gotta read something. I'm not a movie girl and somehow I cannot focus on the Bible on the plane. :-( but this book was a delightfully humorous look at life in Africa through the eyes of a young white kid who seems heck bent on injury. It was funny.

A Primate's Memoir: Love, Death and Baboons in East Africa by Robert Sapolsky. This is a very irreverent book that makes me chortle out loud. Steve and I have read portions to each other like when we were driving to Houston for Thanksgiving and I began the book. Then I had him read me some as I was falling asleep (I go to sleep at 8pm--yeah! wake at five am FULLY RESTED-whoa!)

No comments: