Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Where to start?

Already 100 things have happened and I did not write it down. Beautiful countryside today with the lush green trees and fields and the people in colorful clothing and sometimes dusty and dirty all along the roads. Stepping out of the way for the car going by, I wave and smile while looking into children's eyes--they light up as they make eye contact and for just that moment-we are together in time connected. such a joy. they are so receptive.
we saw water everywhere. there have been the rains. water swirling, rushing and muddy brown but joyful. the dirt roads with huge puddles like pools for goats. the sky so blue with white puffy clouds and then turning grey and glooming making the bright green turn deep and rich. oh to have my long lens camera--but I only took the small pocket one-which makes flat photos and doesn't catch the beauty of my friends.

Oh when we came to Shibuli (Cornerstone) yesterday, the preschool had the long parade and the tgd students and even the choir! they welcomed us with the christmas tinsel necklace but first as I pulled up and got out the car, my heart leapt and the lump in my throat as my heart swelled with love. Me? yes, i'm a crier sometimes but it is not like me to cry at greeting or leaving. so I was surprised. just so much emotion. so happy to be back. so many prayers for my friends. so much longing to help them more and more because the need is so great. I know the suffering, I know the loss. I know the trouble, even the conflicts. I know the weakness. I love them all. I love them with real Jesus love and real human affection. Very dear to me. Those sweet children. I love them so much but when I get with them, the language and lack of real deep relationship makes it so awkward!! even as I greeted my beloved orphans--what to say? no real conversation. but emotion--so intense. so profound. I lay my life down for them. and yet....not. and yet I sit in my comfortable house with my comfortable life and I go along as if all is well. In heaven, it is well. and one day, all will be well. I have cause to rest in Him.
Today 137 children learned to brush their teeth courtesy of Mickey Stanley. Oh we had so much fun! she had a model mouth from a dental assistant friend. I marveled. I love that stuff. she used it to demonstrate. TGD students assisted us and translated. Lawrence is a marvelous translator! He has a beautiful booming voice and has excellent command of English and Swahili even though his native language is Luhya.
I have spoken with the team and had some hard conversations, but I have also enjoyed giving them a chance to talk to me about the stresses we all went through with the container. It is just so good to connect and hear their hearts and troubles. Steve made videos for them.
Oh and the clinic. you know, no one seems to give any donations for the clinic specifically. Now I am really delving into the particulars with the help of Otis and Mickey's research and knowledge. I will just have to pray and seek the Lord afresh. We are waiting on their debriefing to decide if we should even consider moving forward. the government here insists on the great need. they are so supportive. i asked them what would happen if i had to close one month due to lack of donations. the sanitation officer was so compassionate. he said, "We all know about shortages. There is no penalty. We only want to know that you hope to reopen soon." because with sporadic giving, how can I commit to something if I will be held liable? I only want to help. I only want to give. I intend no harm. yet, harm can occur.
Everyone here wants the clinic so bad. Emelda and Janenite are going to refresher school (at Anita's expense--and unasked!) to be prepared to work there.
but Otis and Mickey have come to "keep Stephanie out of trouble." and perhaps I must remember that I cannot get ahead of God. That was Medine's word to me as she left. I have taken it to heart.
We shall see.

well, Otis has given me some insight. He told me that if you give a man a fish, he eats for a day, but if you teach him to fish, he will spend all day fishing on the lake with a six pack of beer. Hmmmmn. I never thought of that.

Otis has been testing the water. we went to panadols. They have a wonderful church there built by pastor Chad's church. We crossed the bridge and Otis slipped while trying to help a lady across. Oops! He did not fall in the water. but to test the water, we found the spring where they draw. I never knew they had a spring. I have always worried about them getting that water from the lake. it was good to see panadols wife. she is so fun. she is the one who walked 20 miles for 7 hours ONE WAY in order to learn to sew and now she has her own sewing machine.

You know, we did so much yesterday, but I don't remember the day. really. it was long. i got to bed late. i remember that i fell asleep trying to read technical documents that intrigued me. Otis gave me such wonderful material. I just LOVED IT. so maybe I'm not in my PhD program, but this was reminiscent of those days. A big stack to cover in a week. Just my cup of tea. well, maybe once upon a time. but I am determined to enjoy these things.

Also today, Otis did some work with our TGD team related to educational material.

OH MY GOODNESS> i am here in the lobby of Golf waiting for Frank to return -=i had him take emelda and janenite--and this guy is listening to music really loud. so disruptive! aahhhhgggg. ok. maybe he stopped. praise God. Jesus sent someone to give him a phone call. he was giving me a migraine .

my neck is sore from driving all over those bumpy roads. but we had A/C ! YES! what a luxury. oh yeah. what a luxury. i am so grateful.

oh yeah, I was saying I was reading technical documents related to health process -= community entry in kenya with a health dispensary and I fell asleep accidently. I woke to a mosquito buzzing in my ear. oh that is a joy (not.)

i want to sleep in tomorrow so bad! but we getting up early. what did we do yesterday? I don't know.
I saw Agnes on the road as we drove home from Gladys. How crazy! I am across the world and I run into someone I know. So many wonderful friends. So many beautiful people. So many lives interconnected. how happy I am.

Little Ben at the preschool today was in rags. He has no clothes besides his uniform and it is NOT making it. he looked hideous. but he made eye contact with me and smiled. I hope he recognizes me. Little Noel is growing up. How come she looks so healthy and changed and he looks like a ragamuffin? They live with the same grandma.

which reminds me of Panadols wife coming out and body slamming Mickey. Even without seeing because I was on the other side of the SUV, I heard the running, screaming joy, and the thud--then Mickey trying to be kind and recover while greeting. The enthusiasm runs over! Even the grandma to Jane, Lillian, and Vivian. So happy and so talkative in her language right to us....but we didn't understand. I used my little words---but I am so very rusty. I cannot remember my Luhya.

oh , i must stop. so tired. so tired. pray for me, friends. pray for our team. we need strength. our schedule has been rigorous, as usual. and always Joseph asks me if I can visit one more. so we left early morning and it is8:20 ---which seems so early to you--but when you've been riding the African roads, you need sleep.

Tonight, we should transition to this time zone fully.  (in the name of Jesus)

I miss Steve. I miss my puppies. I'm hoping my children are well and happy. I want them to love Jesus more and more and serve Him with their life. Let it be so.

God bless you. Pray that God prospers the Kenyan community here through Trinity Global Development and Cornerstone church, In jesus name. Pray we love one another, serve one another, forgive one another. Pray we love God and love our neighbor as ourselves. What have we done for ourselves today? Have we done that same thing for another? Maybe it is time to do so.

I love this place. I feel like everything I do has importance. Nothing mundane here. Nothing simple except my Swahili. Way too simple but I'm trying!

2 comments:

mamatigerj said...

What size clothes does Benjamin wear? I am sure that we have some here that we could send to him!

blessings,
j~

TexasRivers said...

He's a little guy. I don't know. something in typical four or five year old. that would end up too big, but he can grow into it.