Sunday, November 14, 2010

We have set up a small shop in the little township called "Center." We are setting up some computers in the same Cornerstone room. Some people gossiped that Mama Stephanie was leaving Cornerstone--my goodness it is always some negative chatter around here to make you crazy. I shared from the pulpit about how we love Titus and we are family and no one is going anywhere! No one is upset and we are here in Shibuli and staying here.
We had the most wonderful day with Joseph's church yesterday. How I love them all so much. Mama Theresa, Mama Violet, Mama Phanice (who wasn't there but I saw her today.) The girls danced for us, WE danced, it was such a joy. Pastor Joseph danced. I saw myself on video and was a bit sick to watch it. UGLY! FAT! but let me tell you---JOY IN THE LORD --JOY WITH MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS!! I was in heaven and having a great time. It was great to see Praxcidia (no idea how to spell it) and to see Pastor Bernard who is so happy and thankful how Mama Medine heard his terrible situation when the floods came and washed away part of his home. Her church donated funds that his house would be rebuilt and it is a FINE home! Bigger and with a tin roof. how happy he and his wife are!! and they have BABY STEPHANIE!!!  I confess it is my great joy to see beautiful little baby Stephanie! and now she will get to play with several baby Anita's! really, it is not about fame or popularity, but it is a joy to know someone has named their child after you! It is easy enough since they take their AFrican names from family but they can give our Christian name. Oh how I pray that Baby Stephanie is a mighty woman of God and a minister in her community and to the world. may she grow up educated. and you can be sure, I will watch over her. she is precious.  and so is Precious. How we love Precious Lumwachi! she is a darling! and even Nicole was so sweet to me this time. and she actually warmed to Mickey immediately----which is a great honor. Nicole is slow to warm but Mickey somehow won her over.

i have not posted. i was on facetime with Steve. how awesome! we spent one hour over the internet wi-fi in the golf hotel. yes, talking out loud together in the lobby. the other day we had the luxury of the signal reaching my room. i wish that would continue!

today was a good service. when they got up to name different leaders and such, I knew almost everyone by NAME! i love so many people! and you know, people are not dying this time! hallelujah! someone is praying! and also, I have not had so many people telling me their hardship story. i was telling otis and mickey they were getting off easy. not even any beggars!!! and then, after I said it, two young boys came up to the car with hands out. but here is not so bad as Nairobi and not so bad as India. you do not get mobbed. even if you have candy and they run to you, you are not overwhelmed. they keep a measure of composure. the children here are generally pleasant and open hearted. although it was disconcerting for Evangeline to have the car load come to her home. Her father's sister keeps her and she was frowning nearly the whole time, when she is usually such a beautiful smiley girl. but praise God that she has a sponsor.

oh it was so good to go to the children. awkward, yes, I cannot always speak to all of them. they know who i am, though. today I saw fridah and gladys. it was good to have fridah come and eat with the grownups. i like it. and then sharon came to me. I had some people who had said they would sponsor sharon, who has AIDS. she is florence's ward. but i was not even going to take her into my program because too many resources could drain away from children like gladys who have a long and healthy future ahead of them, even the potential to go to college and be community leaders in the future. there are so many orphans here, and so much need. Even Ruth, who is Doreen's husband's sister's daughter. the sister died and now Ruth lives with the grandma. so common. I really like ruth. or Anne's brothers or sister's child or children live with her. she works for Titus as a house girl making some small amount but feeds her children and those left orphaned.  These are not in our plan. there is also diamond, I took photos of her. her mother takes care of her but wanted support since the father died. diamond is a precious little girl. but she is not on the program to be sponsored. there would be no end to children in line if I just opened up to everyone.

but can you imagine when Sharon came to me (not the Sharon that we have in the program, but the Sharon with AIDS.) She is a girl of about 13. She is small and she is covered with some skin problem. She actually looked better than usual. But she asked to speak with me. I told her I did not have a sponsor for her. she knew someone who had told her they would be her sponsor, but that person, when I talked to them, had decided to sponsor some children in Haiti instead. what can I do? I cannot do for all. I told her to pray. but there are many like her. there is another girl named Sharon who goes to church with Fridah and Gladys. She followed us around when we went to this church and those girls were with her. she followed when I invited them to come eat with me. and what could I say? You! Go away! sometimes you do say such a thing, it is awful, but not that time. and I could see how she looked at me. i was wondering....is she an orphan? or does she just want school fees? I didn't dare ask. don't open the flood gate. oh it is painful work to be here sometimes.

but on tuesday we will be giving so much good equipment and supplies to Dr. Kennedy for his home clinic and the hospital in Iguhu, Kakamega District. they have great need. he runs a good place and keeps things so clean. he is such a good doctor and prays for each patient. he is compassionate --something often lacking in a place where doctors are overworked and under-resourced.

tomorrow we go to kakamega forest. i have never taken the day off to go there. I'm going to do it. then I will be able to show Steve where it is.

we are also moving wood out of the school building where we had stored it for the time. WE NEED TO FINISH THE SECOND FLOOR AND PUT THE ROOF UP!! Please consider giving to our building so that we can set up the computers and let the community learn new skills. Even if we trained enough people then some employer could come to the area and take advantage of a newly trained workforce! the whole community will benefit. even when there are jobs here, someone from the outside gets the job because they have training, but we need the locals to get the good jobs. Please help us finish this project. we have many materials needed to make much of it. but we also need money to pay workers. Titus will be home to oversee the work and help us get the most for our money. Please tell your friends!

so much good is going on around here. God bless you and I pray you are able to donate even some $20 to the projects we have going on here. www.TGDonline.com  God will bless you abundantly as you consider the poor here and remember the orphan and widow in their distress.

Mama Anita will be coming in December and can bring your donation to the people, if you prefer. What has God put on your heart?

No comments: