Friday, April 08, 2011

doggie diaries

Today I drove the puppies an hour north so they could poop in the parking lot of a target (I had my special bags!)  I drove the new Jeep that Steve traded for the Viper (even trade, just paid tax, title, license.) I am not thrilled with that thing. Steve got the lift kit, I guess, and we are towering above the road. He bought a rubber mat in the back so puppies could stand and grip it. But when you lay the seats down, there is a gaping hole where the hinge is---ouch. Little puppy paws slip down into that.

I almost wasn't up to it but needed ground beef for tacos. yes, i drove an hour outside of downtown --because if I had to walk the seven blocks to the closest grocery store--it was raining and puppies can't poop in the rain very well---even in Austin!

and sure enough, we got out there to that big wide parking lot and they were all tails UP! happy puppies! no whirring cars zipping by. It was worth it to me. It was so cold (about 41?) that we weren't good for too long. But they were ready to get back in the car. Sarah sat with them while I went into target. I looked for a 25 foot leash so we could let them have the sensation of running around---but they only had five foot ones. There is a petsmart around here somewhere and a pet store of some type just a block or so away.
we'll see. I could pay someone 16 to come walk them for 25 minutes--but it is the DOGS who I am most concerned about--not me.

we did see this square of sorts---like a green oasis amongst the checkerboard streets --- little sidewalks and trees instead of a building on that block there. A woman with her small dog was walking through. It was right in front of some big majestic library where all these people were standing outside on the sidewalk and across from them were a line of cars like parents picking up elementary students at a school---but these were adults and young adults....so I could not grasp what was happening. All I could see is that GREEN---and only about 10 blocks north and maybe four or five blocks east. oh if my puppies could WALK to that then I could let them poop there in less traffic----but i think they might pop their eyes out of the sockets on the way. They lunge forward (nothing new) but with a frantic look about them (new). Penelope's little legs quake. It moves me with compassion.

but when they won't go potty, I'm moved to self-pity and whining. "Penelopeeeeeeee.....go wee-weeeeeeee, pleeeeeeeeease. NOW! GO WEE WEE!" She turns and looks me right in the eye. Just to see if I am serious. and I am, so she looks away and at the dirt and at the cars.

oh....I may drive an hour north tomorrow, but first I'll try to find a parking space near that green patch nearby.

No comments: