Monday, April 18, 2011

Today in Chicago

I posted a photo to facebook. It was snow on the building roofs. That's just wrong. And as I walked to my hair appt, the little pansies freshly planted were surrounded by ice. There were signs out on the sidewalk saying "Caution: Falling Ice"
What?? I looked up and the building had so many stories. I could not imagine ice falling down on my head from up there. It seems like it could kill you. I walked out closer to the road!
I crossed the bridge over the river and the icy wind gust hit my face. It was only about 39 degrees and it seemed to me like it was so much colder. I was so thankful for my down coat. I was wondering about the poor homeless people. I had my little snow boots on because they are waterproof and cushioned. How privileged I am to live like this! My cheeks were feeling the burn of the cold but I could put my scarf over my face and I also had a nice roomy hood with a furry edge. The cold couldn't really hurt me!
I had only gone probably six blocks and I was thinking....oh man...so much more left to GO. My toe was rubbing in my shoe. I told my toes to tough it out. Get used to it! we need to do more of this! The nice thing is that being on the streets makes you walk so much faster. You are always coming to the road and you want to make that WALK signal, so you rush up to the corner and cross. Then it is there again up on the next one.
I would never take a walk that fast unless my dogs were pulling. But here, it is normal. I walk fast but people are passing me right up. Carrying a purse is hard because you can't swing your arms to make your legs go faster. I need a backpack.
It's so funny and dark here in the day. The big buildings obscure the light but at night all the street lights make everything lit up. Sort of backwards. But it is different. There is so much to see. So many details. The buildings have different architecture and styles and messages and names. There are shop windows and you can look into the cafes. Taxis are everywhere and trying to run you over. Buses stopping, trains overhead, dogs, beggars, and the occasional woman in spiked heels. The nice thing is most people are dressed in black (MY FAVE) and wear comfortable shoes--oh yeah! but everyone is thin. There are not too many overweight people and not too many short people.
(if you are short and overweight, i need you here.)
In Texas, there are LOADS of short people (Kenya, too.) I remember moving to Texas and looking around thinking, "Whoa, I can see over some people." In Arkansas, you had to be with children to get that. Well, I'm back to the land of tall people. So many tall women. Sarah fits right in with her white skin and dark hair. Not so many blonds around here. They stand out--and look pretty. Sarah is also tall and skinny. She's 5'7" and so many of the women here are that.  It's an interesting change. They all look so pretty in their boots and trench coats. Sarah loved all the boots here. So much variety. Well, it is so cold here, they have to wear boots for MONTHS! They probably have 10 different ones! Like we have sandals and flip flops (oh which are much cheaper.)
The people don't look at you too much and don't greet you as you walk by. That's nice, since there are so many. I can't help looking at them because we look at each other in the south and say hi. I have managed to be careful not to be too smiley. Sometimes I find a smile pasted on my face as I'm walking (yes, i'll be thinking of Jesus or something happy.) and then I'll realize I've got that look on. I reduce it to just kindness. It cracks me up that I might be too friendly.
I learned that in the south! I learned it from Jesus! I am not just naturally friendly at all! before I was a Christian, I don't think i was very friendly EVER. and I didn't have many friends, either. One at a time was enough for me. Now I've met so many wonderful, beautiful people---how can I limit myself?! I love so many people because they are so delightful! and I am so thankful that I actually have managed, by God's grace, to have some friends who love me. OH God is GOOD!
and God was good to send me to Shaun Blythe at Aniko Salon on Wabash in Chicago. 75 for highlights and 60 for a hair cut--not bad at ALL for downtown prices!! woo! and She was a BELIEVER. Oh how nice is that?!  and I was just going along, being my Jesus self, you know, and somewhere along that she just got excited and asked me ....questions about church/mild questions to find out where I was standing, you know, and she was so happy and just smiled with relief because she's in a sea of non-Christians and she's a real believer of Jesus. so she was so happy to talk and told me all manner of things about herself (super fun) and she has a church that meets outside in the summer to minister to the rejected people --not trying to get the rich suburb folks but trying to reach people in need. Oh we had a great time. Plus I was my neurotic self about my hair and being fat and obsessively NON-confident and she was just so cute as ever and we had a nice time. I'm definitely sticking with her. How awesome to find a winner on the first try! woo!
and then, since I had a hideous migraine last night, I went back to the chair massage girl and got 20 minutes of a nice light soothing massage and good conversation. Thank you, God, for Cassie who is 27 and has a little 2 year old girl--awwww. I swear it felt like three minutes! she said it was actually 25 since we talked. ahhhh. what a TREAT! 
so I walked my 1.7 miles home and took the puppies out to walk. Both went #1 and we headed back up to our 10th floor. I ate half a cheese Totino's froz pizza (cooked, of course!) and a glass of milk and came here to tell you about my day.
God bless you friends if you bothered to read it. I am so thankful for the people in my life. Just filled with love and joy about how good God has been to me to send me such fine people.
Makes me warm inside.

1 comment:

Gastronomy Club said...

Aunt Stephanie!

I've been enjoying your pictures of Chicago.

Josh often comments on how everyone in Fargo smiles at each other, but I've recently learned that Russians don't smile in public because they want to save them and laughter for family and friends at home.