Thursday, April 21, 2011

Orphan Administration

I couldn't be more pleased with the way the Orphan Program has progressed. The happy pictures I get each month and the testimonials. I have posted some here and I have sent some out to the TGD family through newsletters. What a great blessing to be part of changing the lives of these young ones. Who can they depend upon? Even their relatives are struggling in poverty.

Frank and Joseph have really kept a watchful eye on these children. It satisfies my heart when they come back to me with reports of special needs. There was the occasion that they suggested blankets for Ben and Noel. They both live with a handicapped grandmother and they slept on rags. They had very old blankets which were dirty and in shreds. Upon observing this, Frank suggested we use some of their money for blankets. How delighted I was to see little Noel wrapped in a blanket like a papoose with a big smile on her face and her eyes bright! I love that she is so young she probably takes this new interest in her life for granted. Children under five years old don't know to reflect much upon their situation. They just accept that this is the way the world works. Contrast that with Abednego who was clearly ashamed of his orphan status. He didn't even want it spoken and looked down and scraped the dirt with a stick. He knew that other children had both parents and here he was in his uncle's home as an orphan. It breaks your heart when you see that pain. Oh but things have changed for him. He's an honored member of the household now who brings in supplies! He brings blessing to his home! What a change of status! I sit and ponder this sometimes in wonderment. I can't know what it is like to be an orphan. My parents are both still alive. And I grew up with both of them. I didn't know about going without anything. I had more than I needed and even often got those things I asked for at Christmas time! There were never any grave illnesses, never any broken down cars, never any fights about money and never any lack. So when I try to think of how a poor child looks at the world, I have to really work at it. It has helped knowing people who really struggled in poverty as children. There is a desperation in children because their survival instinct is always kicking in and what can they do? A child is so limited in control. They have no authority, no resources, and they need guidance and nourishment. God help our little children in Kenya and the suffering young ones around the world. They only know what they are told. They only know what they see. They have to come to a certain level of development to look beyond their circumstance--and many die before they reach that age.

So I am thankful for Frank and Joseph. Who have taken their jobs very seriously. Frank has remained involved even through his own devastating loss in March (Not even two months ago!)  Their dedication is glory to the Lord. Their service brings Him honor. Their work puts praise unto God into the mouth of babes. I am so thankful.

Here is an indicator of Frank's watchful eye, diligence, and determination to find a way to benefit these children the most. I wonder if all of us would take such trouble to make sure someone prospered. I thank him for monitoring the situations and not just "doing duty"but going beyond and loving. Here is an email I received today.

We call her Sharon 2 because there is the 1st Sharon who got the cow. Sharon 2 has AIDS (she is in the blue dress) and went without a sponsor for a long time. God had mercy on her and sent a sponsor with a heart for the broken. I wasn't even sure we should sponsor her since she is so sick and yet her sponsor was sure. God is so good. He is so good.


We visited Sharon 2 and realized that the monthly supplies going to her may not be effectively serving her. This is due to the fact that the home has nine children and several adults all of whom share in whatever Sharon gets. I talked with Florence and Sharon at length and considering what I saw, I propose a slight change on how we serve her as follows.
 
  • I will talk with the school administration so that we can pay the school and have Sharon take her lunch at school.
  • We will also be buying a box of pasteurized milk that she will be drinking a packet daily. This will be at the TGD offices which is just across her school and she can be passing by the office each day after school. We can also arrange for her to get a fruit a day for a month.
  • We will also buy porridge flour that is mixed with several healthy ingredients.
  • The remaining amount will be used to buy personal effects and food stuff that will go to the home but in small quantities and probably in bits for the sake of regulation.
I discovered that using our current method, by day three almost everything we have supplied has been exhausted and the girl struggles for the remaining days of the month. I talked to the care giver dealing with her case who assured me that she is improving and really only needs good nutrition.

No comments: