Friday, January 05, 2007

Born into Brothels


Wow. Just finished watching this. Very heavy. I didn't cry until the very last scene, but it is heart wrenching.
Having been to India, all the sights and sounds were familiar. The music was familiar. It is a complex culture (I suppose they all are at some level).
Definitely makes me want to go to India (but no, because the food is so distasteful to me---but I could afford to hire a cook) or China and open a school. I could do it. Like an orphanage, but more like a boarding school.
I checked on my lease today because I'd like to get home. My S baby is having stress symptoms and it is hard on me being away from her and with Mr in Dublin then going to Brazil....well...I hate it!
and I had the greatest day today. We had a meeting with the people that work with my advisor. A fellow came over from a nearby school. He was doing longitudinal work with a cohort from the Murray Center. The Harvard Study. The men are 60 now. and he went back and followed up with 41 in depth.
Then a certain number of us went to lunch together and had the most divine (well, maybe not the right word)....a very intellectual discussion. SO COOL! It is what I love.
and my homework was so cool. I was reading about qualitative research and the history of it across the last century. All the best words in there about subjective experience and lived history and phenomenology and epistemology and post-modern (I'm not always that big on post-modern--depends), existential (love that except for the godless part which I don't think has to be a defining concept within the term).
BUT
in order to get out of my lease, I will have 2 months rent as a penalty, must give 60 days notice and must pay back any reduction in rent they gave me (I may have had a small reduction).
So 2 months is $3000!!! Nah....won't be going anywhere soon. I guess I'll have to live out the lease. But it will end up with an extra 2 months charge ANYWAY because I won't be here over the summer.
I doubt that Mr will be feeling that generous especially since my whopper loans will all come due and who knows if I can find a job that I like with just a bachelors (but I could try working some reasonable job because I have a few skills).
I love this world here and I think if I had Mr here and my children, I would flourish. So I may go ahead and try for some lesser program close to home. We'll see. But I do hate to give up the academic environment! (I suppose I could go work as a secretary at a college---horrors! I hate that).
But the girls in the red light district. They need help.

No comments: