Wednesday, January 24, 2007

staying home today


Today I was going to head up to LR to stay with C and then on to the conference tomorrow. Instead, I am staying home today and going to drive straight through to the conference tomorrow--about 11 hours.
S came in and got in bed this morning. She had a terrible headache all night. I also slept VERY poorly, alternating between too cold and too hot. Mainly I was too cold and when I put on a hat, socks and pillow over my head I would get overheated. But the overhead fan is too much for me and not enough for Mr.
I suppose I am questioning if I should go to the conference. I desire to go and I desire to stay and I don't know which is better. But I think it is better to stay and so I might. Yet I will miss the conference and all the neat people there --all the ideas. I will regret it. So I should go. Waffling. Hmph.
working hard on the ireland tickets for spring break has been a pain in the (body part) EYE! (head, arm, leg, foot, ear)
I guess everyone is going to Ireland. And everyone is coming home. The flights are all booked and we want 6 tickets on one flight and at a low price. ha ha.
but we've got some on hold at Dillards Travel. Mr is calling about that now.
trying to coordinate with K about going up North to get the stuff in the apartment. M wants to go but she cannot take a Monday off. So we have to fly up on a Thursday, pack up on Friday and leave on Saturday? kind of hard. but maybe.
I was trying to make the dates be across Friday feb 2 so I could go to the HDSP party at my advisor's home. should be great fun. I'll miss that too.
If I went to the conference and the party, that would be a nice ending.
I'm not worrying about the future right now. I know I want to keep going to school and that I would like to get a phd and teach. I am still young (always young!) and I'm not dead, so maybe there will be an opportunity.
If I want to use my GRE scores, which are very decent, then I have to enroll somewhere by Fall of 2009. I took the GRE in August 2004 and the scores are only good for five years. I'm not taking that thing again unless I feel desperate or something.
There's a job as an academic advisor at where L goes to school--I wish I'd hear from them about S. There is the MA in counseling where I got my undergraduate. Mr is going to check about jobs at his company---but it is far from his reach of influence. I'd like to work in orientation there or in training. but I'd miss academia. I love being in the school environment...particularly where I was. There was always interesting things to attend, far more than you could ever take in.
Those are my main thoughts. I checked on tuition remission at L's university and you have to work there for five years before you get that. You get it for yourself within one year, but only 20% off children's or spouse's education, but then 40% 2nd year, 60 % 3rd year, something like that. It seemed to stay that no tuition remission benefits begin until after 1 year, so maybe when they say 20% 1st year, they really mean 1st year of elgibility which is 2nd year employment.
More later.

No comments: