Tuesday, January 09, 2007

trying to watch another video


Cold here.
It is something like 24 feels like 17....I checked the home temp---it was 40 degrees feels like 40, clear with a full moon (and I suppose the moon is the same in both places, eh?)
Trying to watch Agnes of God, never seen it, but dang, can't get the subtitles on. I can read a movie better than just watch it.
I also got "All the Kings Men" about Huey Pierce Long, the famous Louisianna Gov.
and 13 conversations about one thing. Seems like an interesting piece. (the lady at Blockbuster squealed, "OH it's got my boyfriend in it!" meaning mathew McConaughey. I was at Frye's (an electronics store) with Mr and watching the giant tvs just to see what was on them. I thought I recognized Matthew McC in this scene where he is running with a gun and acting like he is tough guy. Now, my baby S tells me that he IS a tough guy (when I criticized him she set me straight. Glad she wasn't there to see me laugh at him on the screen). But with the sound down, it LOOKED like acting.
I call it bad acting when you are not drawn into the story but rather notice that they are acting. Now in the old days, you had to really suspend reality and use your imagination for the special effects in Star Trek. But today, well.....I saw Lord of the Rings and didn't Gollum LOOK real? You don't even remember he is fake! (creepy) and the elf princess, ah, so pretty and ethereal.
But not McC! So I had a good laugh. I'm not sure I've ever seen him acting, but it seems to me I might have and that he was good enough. He is nice looking and that always works well for actors. Folks around Texas (central parts anyway) are prone to like him.
As for school, I got plenty of homework for this week. My soc-bio class is deep with heavy readings----but the child development course. Whoa Bessie! It is intense. With about 10 weekly scientific journal articles of around 25 pages each----and we will be having a 2 hour final exam!
If I lived through Econ, though, I can live through this (I have not received my grade for econ yet, though, since I turned in my paper after Christmas---it is still incomplete on my transcript). In fact, since I enjoyed many facets of Econ, I am bound to love this. I LOVE child development research. I did seriously consider going that direction for my PhD program---and I still COULD because this program is multidisciplinary and I could do anything I wanted to do (within reason).
It's midnight.
tomorrow is the viewing of 49UP and then discussion in the faculty lounge of the library (OH COOL!) I' ve totally loved the discussions of this past week. Brain candy all the time. (and sometimes brain sledge hammer, but that's okay!)

No comments: