Friday, June 25, 2010

obstetrical needs list and me blabbing blabbing

BLOGGING FRIDAY June 25, 2010
Yesterday was another challenging day. Steve is the boss around here but he is thousands of miles away. I am running things—and we all know Steve and Stephanie are polar opposites. It is hard to clarify directions using text messages. They all cost me .40 each time and so I hate to see the day has gone by with well over 20 text messages. How spoiled I am in the USA. Unlimited texting. I make calls at whim. Normally, I feel apologetic for how easy my life can be. When I get home, though, I am going to praise God and revel in my easy life.
It is not that I live in pure joy! This life has its troubles even when you live with things going your way. Aches/pains, misunderstandings, frustrations, boredom, overwork, stress, strivings, random hunger or headaches, sleepless nights, and these are just in the good life. I remember hard times of going without things you need….even basic health insurance or not having enough underwear. But even with those things, I have the hope of eternal life with never ending PURE JOY that we are always wrongfully trying to create here. Thank You Jesus for having purchased for me what I could not buy.
What are we dealing with here today? We are trying to purchase some land for TGD Services. Yesterday, the owner of the land came to talk to one of my employees who also regularly deals with land. He is a surveyor. However, that employee only talked to the owner himself rather than getting another of his colleagues to talk with the owner as well, so we could have clarity as to what is going on. The owner said that on the land we were going to purchase, he has actually SOLD half of the parcel to the church that is currently standing there (it is a large building made entirely of tin roofing materials. Very low grade structure.) Previously, he said the church is leasing and when we checked the deed to the land, it was clear. We are not sure why he is now saying it is sold. But the employee let the owner leave and came to me to tell me we have to look for another parcel somewhere.
Walter, who is head over everything here, was disturbed because he should have been in on the conversation so they could question the owner about this change. Frank also was on the grounds and I was, too. So now we have to go investigate for ourselves. Steve thinks it is a ploy to get more money—and he is not willing to pay more than the agreed upon price. We are unsure if the man sold it to the church in the brief two weeks since we agreed on a price. Steve and I had difficulty communicating about this change by text. Even a phone call (very expensive) was difficult to make things clear.
Now Frank has gone to check on the deed to another plot ---MUCH more expensive but also in a prime location. There is a chance that it is involved in government dispute because a previous regime allocated land according to favor and illegally. Now the current government is requiring those lands to return to the government so they can be purchased legally. In the meantime, much of the land is on a 99 year lease—something we don’t understand, but I remember that they do that in China, as well.
In the meantime, Walter is going to check on the deed to Joyland and see if the church truly owns it. If so, I want them to see if the church will sell for half the price we are buying from the owner and the owner sell his parcel for half the asking price. That will still equal the same amount. It is a good place and I really would like either one of these plots. We have looked all over and the pickings are slim and undesirable. Most available land has one or two serious problems associated to it.
So there was also the confrontational work of Walter correcting an employee. He saw that although he’s gotten a salary, his work is not yet defined enough but he is not making the best use of his time. Henry is working double and so we assigned him an assistant. Then I came in during the group correction process and told me they needed to meet without me. That seemed pretty fishy to me and I said okay, letting them know I was not pleased and expected to hear what they were discussing when they were through. Thus I made a sensitive issue even worse. However, Walter was doing a good job and when he came to me we realized I had also addressed some of what he spoke. This confirmed his position and he knew I supported him in his actions. I can see he had TGD’s best interests in mind.
Then today I asked someone to take me to town since the small pick-up is running again. However, I came out to find it gone. This stuff happens all the time here. I had someone call the driver, who said he would return for me. Fine. Irritated but this is not a real problem, right?!
Then I walked into the office to see an employee wearing a TGD shirt. I brought shirts but was not sure what I was going to do with them. I wanted to maybe take them back home and sell them. I made sure that Walter had given out this shirt because I was concerned the employee had just taken it without asking—assuming it was for employees. However, Walter had given it to him. I neglected to greet anyone (probably a serious cultural offense) because I walked in, questioned about the shirt immediately. Then tried to back down and explain why I was questioning. Then asked someone to call the driver. Geesh. What a way to start the day. But you know what? I have not seriously set my heart on Jesus yet today. How do I expect power to live here? This was only in the first moments of the day! Much more is coming. So I am going to put this down and go pray.
I thought I would write about how my average day goes. I read a missionary update from Lauren in Sudan and she detailed her day. It was interesting to me so I thought maybe it would interest you.
BACK AGAIN:
Praying gives me such better perspective! Thank you, Jesus!
We had some trouble with the electrician. The engineer came to inspect and said he did it all wrong. Now he won’t answer his phone. He’s already been paid for his work. Walter and Henry thought it expedient to bring in another electrician for consultation. His feedback was the same as the engineer. So they requested to hire this new one to begin quickly. Much work has to be torn out. Another set back, but we are not deterred!
Then Wycliffe tells me he has asked the electricians around if they know about a gadget that changes over 220 volts to 110. They only know of transformers and don’t know of the thing Steve was talking about getting here. We may need to bring something from home in order to use all of our equipment. I pray the Lord goes before us and works this out.
I went to the store to buy communion for 400 people. I bought 400 little plastic shot glasses for about $26 and some cheap cookies for about $10 and some big jugs of fruit drink for about $15. I am so eager for Sunday! I bought some chicken for the orphans, $20. I will buy some eggs, white potatoes, rice, corn on the cob, and oranges. A good Kenyan meal, except that I’ll put my sage and thyme and salt in the boiling water for the chicken. I’ve made a list of things we will need for birthing mothers:
www.mooremedical.com
www.InHisHands.com
Chux pads
Surgical scrub brush individual pre-packaged
Betadine liquid
Stainless steel bowls-nesting sizes-3 or 4 to a set
Surgical set of utensils (12 items, forceps, hemostats, etc.)
Bright light for perineal repair
Needles and suture
Lidocaine for injections
Individually wrapped sanitary pads
Diapers-cloth and disposable
Diaper pins
Antibacterial soap
Hand sanitizer
Antiseptic liquid
Hydrogen peroxide
Alcohol
Gauze- large and small squares wrapped individually
Placenta bowl/tray
Cord clamps
Newborn hat
Newborn socks
Receiving blankets
Towels
Washcloths
Doppler (electronic fetal heart monitor, looks like a microphone on a cord connected to a speaker)
Blood Pressure cuff
Fetalscope (looks like a stethoscope except that it has an extra part that goes on the mothers stomach)
Stethoscope –adult and pedi
Oxygen
Oxygen masks
Packaged individually alcohol wipes
Cotton balls
Amnihook (to break waters)
Eurythromycin
Vitamin K injections (if circumcision is to be performed)
Measuring tape
Portable infant scale (midwife hanging type)
Industrial grade infant scale
Portable potty chair
Birth stools
Pillows
Sheets
Rubber sheets for mattress
Urinalysis strips
Herbs- cohosh, immortal, angelica, shepherds purse
Blankets
Sterile gloves
Exam gloves
Fingernail scrub brush
Eye examining light
Ear examining light
Tongue depressors
Q-tips (only Q-tip brand please)
Kleenex tissues
Toilet paper
Vaseline
Pressure cookers-large pot
Gowns-cotton nightgowns of shorter length
Gatorade powder mix
Baby oil
Baby lotion
Baby wash
Footie socks-all cotton
Bendable straws
IV solutions, dextrose, lactator ringer?, etc.
IV needles
Surgical tape
Special suction tube to put down baby throat using manual suction (de Lay)
Suction bulbs
Pots for boiling water
TYPICAL DAY:
On a typical day, I wake up with the light or because Titus’ boys are up at 5am. I wait until 6:30 or 7 to begin getting ready so they can get ready first. I have a bottled coke with the old bottle top that needs an opener. I may boil water in my little pan on their gas stove eye. They have a two eye set that sits on a low shelf with a butane tank sitting next to it. I go to the bathroom in their close to western style bathroom that has a toilet without a seat. I don’t sit on it but squat over it. There is a shower head in their bathroom—a great luxury. But I do not trust it. There have been many inconveniences from other users. You have to turn on this switch so that the water gets hot. Then I don’t really understand the mechanism, but it drips slowly much of the time. Down below, about 8+ inches above the floor is a faucet with a short spigot. I prefer to just bend ALL THE WAY OVER and stick my head under this cold water faucet and wash my hair. Sometimes the water has stuff in it and I can’t imagine washing it all over me. Just a personal preference. Then I take water in a basin to my room. I used to wash my hair using a couple of basins but it was messy. I can do it though. Now I just use a basin to wash my body and by now my hot water is ready to add to my basin for washing (if I am having corn flakes. If I am having oatmeal, then I pour boiled bottled water over my plain instant oatmeal and make another pot of regular water for washing.
I’ve changed my patterns a little. Now I have washed my hair at night. I bought a british powered blow dryer so the outlet works and I have my travel hot rollers. It is much cooler at night but in the morning, I get hot and sweaty using that blowdryer. I get so hot and sweaty anyway, so I wear my hair up in a pony tail almost all day every day. It is hideous and I hate it. I don’t like how I look one bit. Oh well.
I eat and bathe myself and start packing up my purse for my days activities. I have several suitcases in my room. I have two large ones and a small one filled with stuff. Then I have a closet full of food stuffs and my few hanging clothes. I also have two trunks in the other room filled with medical things I bought from medical bridges right before leaving. Then I have a large metal trunk I bought here with a lock on it.
I used to get ready to out to churches. I spent time in prayer and preparation each day. I read my Bible morning and night to keep focused. I read it much more than usual. I often have it with me and will take it out and read it. I prepare messages. Sometimes I have something nice prepared and then when I get there, I think of something absolutely different—and speak on that instead. It is much harder to stay coherent like that, but it is also more exciting. I speak for anywhere from 30 minutes to 90 minutes. Sometimes a few times. Then there is praying for people as they come up. That takes a while. We eat a meal with the pastors and family then go back and speak again. There is usually much singing between speakers. It is a fun time. The heat is unbearable at times. I try to stay out of direct sunlight but it is not always possible. I usually meet an orphan or two on the way there or back.
Sometimes we go to two churches in one day. That can be emotionally draining. Sometimes other things. Right now I am usually going to the TGD office or working on a building issue or land issue. I try to greet the students sometimes and give them rousing messages of hope and vision. That is so fun! They just drink it up. I am usually fed chicken, rice, ugali (grits with no taste and very firm), chapatti (tortilla things, fried flat breads I used to love) and sometimes other treats like oranges, watermelons (YUM!), corn on the cob, they may have sweet potatoes (I am not a fan), peanuts (fave!) and they usually give us all a coke. I would like some KFC original drumsticks or a Pappadeaux meal. I’d like a pizza from Reale’s or wheat thins. Maybe graham crackers and milk! Maybe mom’s wontons. Maybe Chuys chicken enchilada. Nope. None of that here. The milk is some kind of interesting milk that has been high heat processed so it doesn’t need to a fridge. It tastes close enough that I enjoy some every day. I bought some frozen chicken thighs in the new western grocery store because I don’t want to kill a chicken I know. I like these chickens.
Today I sorted beans with Anne. She cleans Titus’ house. I see Doreen’s little girl, Sasha, each day. She’s very cute and likes me now. One day I let the puppies out of their kennel and the little black one raced around. Sasha was screaming and crying in terror. I was afraid I had set her back a bit. Today I saw her over near the latrines with Nicole (wycliffe’s daughter) and Sasha had pulled down her shorts and panties to pee or poop in the garden even though she was just five feet from the latrine. I saw little boys come from the school to the latrine and go pee behind it. Curious.
Every day Anne and Doreen wash dishes and do laundry and so does Mama Nicole (Evelyn, Wycliffe’s wife.) They are always bent over at the waist. OUCH. When I went to sort beans with Anne, I got a towel so I could sit on the ground. There is so much chaff and she pours the beans into another bucket, letting the wind carry away the chaff. Very biblical. I liked it. But then she laboriously picks the beans out of the stubble that fell to the ground. She made it fall on some sort of food sack, like potato sack that is plastic. But it was slow work. I got a chance to ask her questions, though. It is good to know people.
I usually don’t have time for that but I was waiting for Wycliffe to return from an errand so he could take me to the grocery store in town. It costs about $6 in gas just to go. I went and made Steve a reservation at the hotel and was able to use the wi-fi for a few minutes to write him an email. I was able to post on facebook—all in about 10-15 minutes instead of the horrible amount of time it takes just get on here. I write on a word document and then copy it. I get online and just paste and get off. That takes 12 minutes just to get to TexasRivers.blogspot. I can be so patient here, but not with the computer. Man. Tedious.
I make some weird food at night. I did the boiled chicken the other night and sometimes just cereal. Sometimes just peanut butter and jelly. Food is not a highlight of my life here. I did get some oreos. I have three packages of four oreos. Normally, I seriously shun oreos. POISON! But oh, to taste something familiar is so good. I am thankful for it.
I doubt I have lost any weight at all because I eat a lot. Not good stuff and not satisfying but it hurts to go hungry here. I am always so busy that I’m not sure if I’ll get food so I think I eat too much at a time. It is such a bother to eat, too, not the easy routine of home. I eat ramen noodles by Heinz.
At night the boys come home and they have tons of pent up energy. They are very rambunctious and run around for quite a long time. You can tell they have sat still all day. I like to look at their English and Swahili books. Sometimes they say Swahili with me. For several nights I had Gladys with me and after the first few days of shyness, they began to interpret for me and even entertain her. I’ve gotten Catherine to work on the profiles which frees me up. I did a couple of interviews on video.
I change my clothes and wash myself again. I now see why it was so disgusting to wash the disciples feet. Feet get gross and dirty here. I am used to my little pudgy piggy toes being so soft and clean. I am not always current on a pedicure and have tried to reduce them to save money—but my feet are always so soft from soaking in the bath. No bath here. Ugh. No rose candles. No classical music piped through my house. I don’t have my little precious puppies smiling at me, hoping for a piece of cheese or a tortilla chip (Penelope loves tortilla chips.) and I don’t have Steve to debrief with here.
I go to bed alone. It is his busy time of day. My 10 pm is his 1pm—busy at Dell or with the children on the weekends. I know how busy our life is. And mine is busy here but I still long for our texting sessions. Usually he texts me between 3 and 5pm my time as he gets up. Then we talk again when I go to bed and it is his afternoon. I might text if I wake in the middle of the night—his evening. I have had great trouble with communications. I MIGHT have my Kenyan phone figured out now. We’ll see.
I go visit the preschool children and pass out candy or a cookie. They love to see me on site in the day. They know I love them. I always wave to them and touch them and greet them. They call out to me or come running to me. They are really precious children. They are so different. Some smart, some outgoing, some shiny clean, some unbelievably dirty, some shy, some slow. But you can get them all to smile. Even Paul is smiling a little now.
I try to check on the little puppies. I bring them snacks. I have taught the little black one to lay down to get a snack. They get very little stimulation but I explained to titus the importance of their brain development at this early age. He’s going to get them out more. He had a man training them but he had a death in the family. I honestly meet a minimum of 2 people each week (up to 10) that have had a very recent death in the family-within the month. I met a woman yesterday who lost her husband three months ago. She was holding a 6 month old baby and there was a young teen girl who had just lost her brother the day before. When we have a death in the family, it seems to shake us up for YEARS. Maybe even we never get over it. Here, they must deal with it all around. The pain! The loss. The grief. It is suffocating sometimes. I know the hospital work will increase it. It is okay. God will take me through and help me comfort them in their sorrow.
Oh the afternoon rain has come and the temperature is dropping. Hallelujah! That’s all I can think of. There must be a million things to tell and my mind is blank. I’m getting tired. Perhaps I can sleep. Nap.

No comments: