Sunday, June 13, 2010

Praise God! Today i took Cynthia, an orphan, to the doctor. She came to the church we were speaking at. I think her family goes there. and she was crying and shivering and sick. she had diarrhea and high fever. I was supposed to speak at Sony's church (we were at Makunga) but I had already spoken at Alfred Okwanya's church and I so wanted to take her to the doctor immediately. I left Medine in charge of speaking with a hope that I could make it back. it was such a thrill that a muslim family came to Jesus that day! the wife had married a muslim and became a muslim but she prayed and prayed and then her husband gave his life to Jesus. The daughter was the lead in it. She was visiting the church. She is a preteen or young teen. She asked the pastor to come to her house, but he was nervous. he was afraid of what a muslim family might want with a pastor. but he went ahead and was surprised to be welcomed! Hallelujah! They were deeply welcomed and cheered. We prayed and hugged them. They gave their testimony. It was a great joy. Then Cynthia showed up outside and Joseph called me out to her. I was stricken. So I spoke to the church, told them of my love for them. It was so great to see Stella! And Evelyn, Joseph's wife was there. But I needed to go.
At Dr. Kennedy's, he checked Cynthia and found her abdominal pain to be symptomatic of malaria. Her temperature was over 39 (37 is normal.) He sent her to the lab for confirmation. In the meantime, he asked me to go around and pray for patients at his clinic. They were two to a room. 8 women. All confirmed malaria! Two were pregnant mothers and one was an old mama with typhoid, too! I used my swahili and Luhya and then also prayed in English. It was good. Many were comforted and loved. I prayed many things over them. It was a great joy to me. Then I was with the last woman. I heard screaming. I asked the doctor, "It is my girl?" He said, I don't think so. but I was anxious to find her. Sure enough. They were trying to give her a shot. She was fighting like a mad woman! Screaming and yelling and writhing! Pastor Joseph was trying to hold her and they were trying to get her in the hip. Dr. Kennedy after a moment said stop. We will give her oral medicine. Joseph was concerned about how well she would actually take the medicine. But Kennedy assured him that we would WATCH her take it and be sure. She screamed and cried, I am ready for medicine, please! So that was good. She promised to take the medicine as directed if it meant she did not have to get a shot.
So while they finished up with her and once I knew she was alright, I went with Edwin, the pharmacist to look at his stock. We discussed amounts and sicknesses and local patterns of consumption. I'm to go to Emusanda Clinic, the one up the hill, and see what their top ten sicknesses are. Then we will stock with those.
We are still working to get the nets. TGD is going to get 300 to 500 dollars worth of mosquito nets depending on supply. It is such a good preventative.
The bicycles for the pastors are here. I am eager to get a photo with them on one. so many times, though, I am so busy living life here that photos seem inappropriate and distancing.
After the clinic, we went back to see Sony and Stella in their home. It was very interesting and would have made a lovely video. We walked in through a store front area. Then we walked along cement halls. Then it opened up to cement apartments on each side. There were clothes hanging from lines hung diagonally through the walkway and plenty hanging. So we wound our way through the bare spots with children playing in the dirt on porches and little chicks under a sort of net umbrella on the ground to corral them. Then we were at Sony's and Stella's, I suppose. they had the typical lovely spread with some variety. I made a plate of chipati and rice for Cynthia and we got her a sprite. She was now ready to eat. There was lovely boiled chicken and some beef and some kind of vegetables with onions. a really nice african dinner. Cynthia was able to eat well. Good thing. I hope she can keep it down because her fever had not broken. I even had Medine pray for her, too. I pray she has a good night and is able to make it to school tomorrow.

No comments: