Sunday, June 20, 2010

Sunday June 20...3rd post

4 (can't erase that 4!) if you want this to make sense, go down and start at the first june 20 entry.

I want to discuss the clinic. We need support. We need to finish the building. We need to buy drugs. Health is a crazy serious need here! Oh my goodness! So much sickness, so many funerals, so much malaria, so many pregnancies. Women have babies at home (which i love that part--but it is NOT sterile in any way and they have NO equipment or supplies!) and they need a clean baby blanket, antiseptic soap. We need to make birth sets with 2 diapers and pins, clean cloths, a couple of maxi pads, sterile gloves, a cord clamp. Do you know what they use? Emelda (Imelda?) told me the mama will rip the dress she is wearing to make a tie that they put around the baby cord. It becomes infected. The health and sanitation director of western province told me that mothers have their babies outside in the dirt and the babies die of tetanus. They need health training. There are no baby classes here. You go to your prenatal appointment and pray they have time to tell you a thing or two. but many women do not go to the prenatals because they have no money. then they don't want to go to the hospital because they get yelled at for not going to prenatals. they are told, "What? You came her last year! are you trying to make a football team?" and the nurses shame the mothers and treat them disrespectfully. Mothers hate it.
When I was at the provincial hospital, I asked the training nurse, "Have you comforted this mama?" and she said, "What?! I did that earlier. I'm tired!" and waved her hand to dismiss the notion. I rather doubt she did any comforting. I would hate that treatment. I became a birth advocate for far lesser transgressions.
The health and sanitation director said they have a serious need for the birthing mothers. What a coincidence! I have a serious need to love on the birthing mothers! It is a hard time and a miraculous transition. The mother needs love, Daddy may need direction, and baby needs instructed parents who feel competent with such a new blessing.
So we need baby warmers, incubators, we need tons of gauze and sterile tools. We need to be able to have surgery in a sterile environment. I will be listing more and hope God will put it on your heart to contribute. i pray even that you will have fundraising parties and find ways to gather items. we will ship again and i pray it is full of those things you have purchased for the poor. they need a neighbor, they need you. You can change their life. I know I am! and it is so fulfilling. I know this is God's work. There is much to be done and much we can do. I pray hospitals will donate to us, pharmacies, and doctors. Oh God! May your Kingdom come and Your Will be done!

No comments: