Sunday, June 20, 2010

Sunday June 20 ...2nd post

The orphan Laura sponsors, Mary, was sick from school with an eye issue. She has this one painful and itchy eye. They say it is allergies--but in one eye? I went to visit her and she looked miserable. She misses a lot of school. She looks 8 years old--she is 12. Sad. I bought them dresses. They don't have many clothes. Her medicine was more than I was expecting, but I am concerned that it is not addressing whatever is the root problem. She sat in Mama Violet's home dejected and looking like she had a migraine. The room was so dark I could barely see her face. it is one room with couch type chairs around the perimeter and coffee tables in the center. this is the kenyan way. it was a mud hut and the chicks were in the corner peeping. the thunder was rolling outside warning us of coming rain. The wind picked up and cooled the room (ahhh.) We went outside and I gave them the sewing project Kerry Blumenthal sent me and I actually got a video of it! i told them to sew it and sell it--if it sells well, do it again. I want to have a contest of all the sewing women to sew dolls and I'll give $25 to the best one--then tell them to make them and sell them. there are no dolls here! I know some parents would buy them.
also a plan to sell bibles. buy them wholesale in Kisumu, add the gas/transport costs, add a small amount for profit for the bus program. I think it is a good idea. people ask for Bibles but part of the problem is there is no supply. if someone can BUY one, they should buy it themselves. We should not just give to someone what they can earn. it makes them devalue to object. may it never be!
So I will take mary to dr. kennedy. I took cynthia and she is better. i am taking gladys and she is much improved. I cannot take all the orphans to the doctor because I would be broke. and they are not all orphans, some have mothers. Some have just been left.
There are two little children who go to the preschool--Ben and Noel. They both live with a grandma who is handicapped. She brews for money. when she has no money and they are hungry, she gives them alcohol to make them sleep. They are sweet little children. Both had fathers that died and the mothers abandoned them to the father's mother while they went and married another man--who didn't want to bring along children from earlier unions. how sad is that? and they are precious!
Poor Paul, whom I have followed for a while now, he might be learning disabled. He is slow. It is discouraging. but there are girls like Sharon, a new girl I met, and she seems so bright. she wears no shoes to school. she asks for support from some kind person. Oh my gosh, it breaks your heart. another girl, daisy, would barely even speak to us. we met her in the principal's office of her school---maybe that was the problem! ha! but we could barely get any words from her, but she just asked for any help. another girl asked for shoes, school supplies, a mattress. I don't remember who. Most of them want school fees and school items. the older children are distressed about lack of school. some of them have to stay home to help in the homes where they live.
But we still need the hospital. We want to focus on maternity. so more on that --i need to post to be sure it makes it.

No comments: