Thursday, June 08, 2006

Peonies


My, how beautiful Peonies are! I seem to have just discovered them! I am usually a staunch rose fan. Although many varieties of flowers can capture my attention. I tried for a few years to get away from the flowers, too simple, too country, to girly. But I've found that flowers delight and inspire. Their beauty and fragrance is so uplifting and tranquil at the same time. I enjoy them.
My love purchased me some blush pink roses just the other day. I clipped their stems this morning to keep them blooming and freshened their water. I saw some Peonies at Whole Foods, right after I noticed them in a party book and checked to see what the flower type was. I realized that I had not given this beautiful elegant flower enough notice. I resolved to enjoy more peonies.
Even though they were on sale for a good price at Whole Foods, I could hardly justify a purchase when I just became interested. I am not very impulsive when it comes to purchases. I do not buy items on the spot. This minimizes my travel purchases more than I prefer, but I just will not buy something the first time I think of it. I have to mull it over and be sure it is something I want.
So I am glad that I know where I can get Peonies when I am ready. I have not noticed them before. They were not at the Whole Foods down on 6th street and Lamar and they are never at the regular HEB where I shop.

I read about this couple who decided not to buy anything but necessities for a year. Although the husband considered the wine a necessity (He is Italian), his wife did not. But they agreed that Q-tips were frivolous. They found it hard to go without Q-tips. They didn't buy clothes nor go to the movies and they didn't pay for taxis, she rode the train late one night in a bad part of town--waited for it in the rain and cried. I found the whole thing quite interesting. Of course, she did this to write a book. Something about a critique on consumer lifestyle, I don't quite remember. But I did think that even I would find that quite hard. I would find it unimaginable right now, but in my former more modest life, I guess it would have been just as offensive, because for heaven's sake, sometimes buying something might be the smallest of reward for going without! Having a good vacuum or a cordless phone.....you have to buy those things. That couple can do such a thing because they are well provided for already.

But the reason I think of them is that she said, she stopped buying fresh flowers weekly. Fresh Flowers Weekly! Oh what a life! I dream of such an indulgence and in fact, I could choose to do this, but it IS a luxury. I don't even buy flowers for parties, although I am not even giving parties anymore since the husband finds visitors an occasion for psychological pressure to clean and impress---just gets the better of him and I find it quite difficult to deal with. He says I CAN have parties, but his disapproval is too strong when I bring it up. And he does not like children to come. This is a sore spot with me. Our house has degenerated significantly since it was brand new. Pets and Teens are very rough on walls and rugs and upholstery. So what are children going to ruin? I never wanted to live in a house that did not welcome children. I'm the one that let them jump on furniture!

But now we have swords and armour about. I suppose someone could really be injured. And the stairs pose a problem for little ones who must be observed. And the tile floor is very hard so toddlers must be followed as well. But I don't have fragile knick-knacks around, so I welcome the children to come unto me! :-)

and I love peonies.

No comments: