Friday, June 02, 2006

Dreaming in real life



I'd really like to live in this apartment. Today I'll call and see if a second floor apartment will be available on August 15.

Since I am not pressed for time, I am remembering my dreams each morning. That's always fun. I can remember them when I am busy, except that I forget them soon after getting up because I start thinking about the day. This morning I had a dream about purses (among a thousand other things). I had all these purses on the wall. I looked at them, they were new. But they were Kmart type purses. So they weren't quality or fashionable. One was a cute seafoam green and looked like it was woven, but when I touched it, it was plastic. The purses still had their packing in them. I had several of the same kind --only one seafoam green, but bunches of this other woven look that was fairly plain, not in an exact style I would prefer, but very common. I knew that I had won an opportunity to choose items from a catalog for free---yet it was just a catalog of Kmart purses instead of say, Crate and Barrel or House Beautiful magazine.

In another dream segment, I was dealing with children. One was like K. About 7 years old. I was moving around this play kitchen furniture. Nice expensive heavy weight play kitchen items like the kind a school would have. They were wood sinks, refridgerators, etc.

Better than yesterday when I dreamt I was a muslim or hindu daughter whose fat ugly big rich uncle came and I had to be all sweet and I offered to make him coffee, like a good daughter (who has no value and so must be of service to others to win favor) but I did not like doing it, even though I was sweet as honey and humble. I threw open the cabinets looking for items to put together a coffee maker and was having trouble and getting frustrated trying to bring together everything needed (including cup and saucer, sweetener, spoon, coffee grounds, etc) to make that cup of coffee.

I took S down to SoCo and we had fun looking at Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, a costume shop with the most outrageous items EXTREMELY thorough. You can rent very elaborate costumes there. Anything you can think of....holland girls, zebras, tons of sunglasses, tons of costume jewelry, tons of masks, tons of accessories--swords, wands, hats, wigs, everything. They had gumby, shark, medieval, mexican, dorothy, egyptian, maids, nurses, cheerleaders, heavy metal rockers, punk, belly dancers, shoot---those are all regular ones, I wish I could think of what they have. It is 10 thousand times more elaborate than party city halloween and better than Salvation Army Halloween. It doesn't lean toward the ghoul, although that is available. They have serious costumes that cost hundreds of dollars. You can rent or buy and order.

We were looking for S's senior year spirit outfits. They have several Blue and Gold days where students come in those colors. Hair, face, clothing paint, everything goes. Last year for the final Homecoming Day ---which is far out the wildest----They made gold lame (lah-may) short dresses, shrugs, and blue leggings (under armor). So this year, they need to think in advance because they are the seniors. S has won for clothing several times over the last three years, so she wants to go all out.

So we found some cute panther masks for 4 dollars, but she likes these carnival type masks, elaborate fancy (slightly) classy ones, makes me think of Amadeus. They are $20. So I don't know if all 10-20 girls are going to be able to afford everything. Most things need to be affordable, although everyone will go all out on the Homecoming day--price probably doesn't matter. S has designed some of the best stuff and outshined previous seniors (kind of a no-no, but so fun for underclassmen). Her friend and her mom tends to do all the sewing (as if I could do any of it! No way! So glad SOMEONE is skilled around here!), so they want an early start so that they can pull it off without things falling apart across the day.

There were also some elaborate headpieces that I can't think of how to describle. Like something those topless ladies on floats in Rio would wear, but not quite that big. There were some underwear covered with bangles that they might wear over leotards. Once she suggested the guys go as pimps and the girls go as hos (pronouced hoze, plural of ho, short for whore, Horrors!), so I suggested angels. I mean, if you can go as a ho, can't you go as an angel? They could wear blue and have yellow or gold wings? Or wear gold and have blue wings?

There were some good gold sunglasses, they wore those last year. She liked the Holland idea, except that the clogs were unbearable. Last years seniors wore construction hats, so that is out.

Anyway, it was fun. and then we were handed a tract that says God loves you. Inside, it said, please don't resent us for handing you this (something). We love you and care for your soul. It was kinda quaint, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I still think it would mean more if you were feeding poor people or providing some service to others for free, then when you hand them something to read, it might seem relevant to them. As for this, it was First Thursday on SoCo (South Congress Avenue) and there are street vendors and random awkward musicians with the hat out---a gospel message just seems to be one more odd part of the soup. But I am glad they are out there anyway. When they go home at night, they feel they've served God, but how many people come to know the God of the Universe through this method? I pray they were effective in reaching someone and I do not doubt their veracity. (wait.....I can't remember what veracity means.... I think it works here).

Today I'll make a Lasagne (and probably fight with L when she asks for money --she just got paid, hopefully that will pacify her temporarily). I am trying to eat less, definitely. I can't focus on exercise when I am trying hard not to eat. It is odd that I am so limited in focus! If I am doing one thing, I don't feel like I can do the other. Because I want to go workout at the gym, I bought a membership for the next couple of months. But that seems hard when I am trying to work on eating less and drinking bottles of water over and over. I wonder how many I drank yesterday? Maybe 6?

I ended up eating out with Xiaohua after I got my teeth cleaned yesterday because I had planned that with her last month. So she took me to Origami and I had the shrimp and vegetable tempura. OH YEAH! Great food....mmmm. I didn't have any coke yesterday. I'm stopping that completely. Only lemon or lime water or a bottle of ozarka. I had no breakfast (explanation coming), and I didn't really eat any dinner. I had some Ovaltine. The tempura really held me.

Yesterday morning, I had to take Mr to work (K's car in shop, he's using ours) and then get home and get ready, then drive downtown to get my teeth cleaned. So I never had time to eat, although I planned on eating oatmeal (which I made this morning with no salt). When L asked S where I was, S said, "she's getting her teeth whitened" so L was mad! She called me up. "What? You are getting your teeth whitened?!" Because she wants hers done and I won't pay for it (she only brushes her teeth once a day as it is). I told her, "No I am NOT. But even if I WAS, that does NOT mean that YOU automatically get what I get!" She drives me crazy. She thinks she is entitled to MORE than her parents.

Later...another issue.....since Mr has decided to give his body a two week detox (following the viewing of Super Size Me) and fast, I knew I was going to have to feed three children daily. I have since planned some meals (grilled chicken and lasagne are two). I am wanting to seriously reduce my sodium and eat tiny healthy meals---but Mr doesn't want to eat at all. So when S asked me for some Sonic, I said, Okay, later (meaning for lunch time).

So then L was out of gas, her checking account completely empty, but she needed to get gas. I told her to go straight home, so she didn't run out on her way to deposit the check. She wanted to use her debit although her account was empty, I said, NO you do not take chances like that (her hoping the deposit clears before the debit). So I went home and gave her my card. I told her to pick up Sonic on the way back. She says she can't go to Sonic cause the girls there hate her---one of her ex-boyfriend's ex-girlfriends worked there last year and "was talking crap" about her (as she says) and her friends are all still there. So I said, okay, S can go when you get back. I let L fill her tank with my debit and write me a check for the amount.

On her way back from the bank, she calls. Can she please just get Burger King cause she's right here? I say No. Maybe I should have explained that I have fourteen days of trying to think of food for them ---maybe food I won't be eating ---but if I start letting her negotiate, OH MY GOSH, what torture she puts me through. They are always trying to barter for the money I would spend on them (If you were going to buy me Outback steak when we went out tonight together, can you just give me the $20 and let me go out with my friends?---I hate that!). So I tell her NO, you can have Sonic. she fights for a while, so I say, fine, buy your own burger king. She hangs up on me saying something like "parental favorites to the nth degree!" now that is not what she said, I cannot remember it.

Then later when she was home and S stepped out to the backyard, L said, "I don't see why you are giving the grounded child everything she wants when I have done everything you asked and I don't get anything!" I said, "L, you get what you want" or something like that. She said, "Oh right, I got my hair done and I went to the DOCTOR!" and throws her hands out as if that was similar to saying.....I got the crumbs that fell on the floor and you call it something!

However, that hair cost about 120 dollars! And she'd act like that is nothing! And the reason she spent 20 dollars on a copay to go to the doctor is because she wanted to find out about getting her sinuses enlarged so that she can see how much extra it would cost to get a nose job!!!!! Which we have said we aren't paying for! And then Mr. tells her, well, go talk to the doctor and see.

I say to him, Why tell her to go to the doctor?! He says, she was bugging me about it? I say, How about just saying NO! He looks dumbfounded.

So that is spending 140 on her, but she's going to throw a fit when I spend 5 on her sister? Oh excuse us mortals for living.

Oh brother! I have something with her EVERYDAY! I hope that since she got paid, she'll settle down. But we were a gossiping family yesterday ....K talked to me, S talked to me, Mr talked to me---we all talked about L. Mr tried to get tough with her and then she left the house. I thought he meant stormed off, I said, why did you allow that? and he says, I didn't know she left. So that means she left afterwards, but she is supposed to tell us where she goes.

When she came home at night, she had an allergic reaction creeping up her back and her throat didn't feel good. We gave her benedryl and forgot all about the day's events. She acted like nothing happened. We were just glad when the reaction went down. I got her up this morning for school at 8am and she acted like nothing--I didn't remember all the issues until now.

She is a very high maintenance child.

No comments: