Friday, June 30, 2006

Student Loan Consolidation


After sitting on hold for many minutes, I went ahead and hung up. Seems that the whole world has logged on and phoned in with a national effort to consolidate student loans before the interest rates increase. I have already contacted my bank but I delayed in filling out my paper work---I hope I am still making the date because I applied for this in May.
But the paperwork is overwhelming. So much to write in! and so I wanted a little human help to get over the detail phobia that is just now slamming into my frail little self like a tsunami. There are seven checkboxes of things I need to do or have. There are lists to fill out for all my other outstanding loans. The amount is so high as to seem crippling. It is rather pricey to graduate from college in America right now. And to think I've got these three children to put through as well.

On a side note, Mr. has got a sister that once mocked us for not rushing to buy a car when our oldest reached 16 stating that she would buy HER child a car. That time is coming up in December. Likely she'll find a way to fund a car, but she'll be surprised at the effort it expends. Insurance and any fender benders increase the costs. And then college may come as a rude surprise as well. It is daunting. I suppose I saved my parents quite a pretty penny. I think my sister is the only one who got any of her college paid for by parents. We've helped our oldest with some college expenses, only to realize that he'll need to be responsible for some costs so as to rightly discern the importance of achievement as opposed to slacking---which exacts terrible costs. We've helped our middle child-daughter with all of her college expenses only to see much of them go to waste due to the mourning process. We'll see if the summer community college dollars were well spent. She's getting increasingly fatigued even though she is not participating in social activities with her friends. She spends most of her off time with us or just resting at home. She's struggled to get up early daily and she's got this paper to write where she must find 30 symbols ("The Yellow Wallpaper") and she's only got about 15 or 20. I started to go through it with her, but when I expounded on certain passages, she was frustrated with me, "I know, Mom, I know the story!" and so I was no longer interested in participating. I wasn't going to go through and do her work for her, I wanted to have an interesting intellectual discussion about the symbolism. Oh well. She'll get it done, I'm sure.
We'll start on her fall/spring loans this weekend---dread dread dread. But it must be done and I am thankful my husband will come do that with her so I do not have to. I may need him to help me get myself situated for the north. I signed our lease today and will mail it. I got a notification from the university that I must set up billing and such with some cryptic instructions. I think I will need to go jog for 20 minutes to right my brain electricity so that I can focus. But off with loans and financial and back to children, where I veered off a bit (as usual).

The youngest still has to read two literature books. One is Sidhartha, which I started and found rather unengaging myself, but the other is her choice from a wide range of books. I think I need to get Joy Luck Club back from the Pilands so that she can read it. I don't know if she'll like it, but I sure did. I read Passage to India and enjoyed that. I came across Emma the other day and considered reading that one again since I never got into it far enough to give it a chance. I started reading Miss Dalloway or something like that---I think that would be a fun book, but I discarded it as well. I am going through my books to get rid of as many as possible, but I can't seem to winnow out enough so that I only keep two tall bookcases full. I'm trying to limit myself to that so that the amount does not become unmanageable. I can put some in storage that aren't books I actually read, but more of a memorabilia type book. I have an old book of my fathers, Robin Hood, I have some books from my mothers father and my husbands father. I have some books of my children's. I will have to get my youngest to sit in the living room and read for an hour or so each day so she can get that accomplished. and she has to go up to the high school to pay some fines if she wants to get her schedule in august. I always wondered how the parents knew which days those schedules would come out. This year, I only had one child to deal with in regards to High School, so I was reading through all the information they sent me and I made note of dates, etc, and there it was! The date to pick up schedules! I realized that they send this every year, but it has so much information that I go into overload and can not process all of it. It wears me out.
How am I going to make it up there? Sometimes I see such glaring inadaquacies! Yet, I am still able to accomplish so much even in the midst of errors. In my whole of my classes, I only forgot to turn in two papers ever. Not too bad. So I manage to keep up with all those details somehow. And I used to pay the bills and was never late on any one of them ever. (for the years we were first here, like the first 8 or something, but he has done them for the last three, I think)

Well, I need to write a letter to a friend. I've been putting it off, but I think it is something I need to do.

No comments: