Thursday, February 09, 2006

Blogging Bad For Academics

Oh the death of my blog comes too soon. But I read this article.....on purpose...
http://www.slate.com/id/2130466/

I LIKE having a blog--and I cannot say mine has been academic whatsoever--so it is probably not a good idea. I read about a woman adjunct professor who lost her job because they realized who she was by some descriptive information. She was blogging to the world about the conditions she found as an adjunct. Basically, total disrespect for her as a professor. Low pay, no office, supposedly some file space in a file cabinet, but it was under lock and key and whoever held the key was bothered by having to unlock it for her. She had gotten a real following, particularly by other adjuncts who were distressed by the same things and found her descriptions painfully true. Evidently she was a very intelligent and insightful person and there was a general outcry when she posted that she had lost her job and was closing the blog. That was when I came across it in the news, so I am sad that I missed reading it! I know adjuncts are paid nearly nothing---like $3000 for a semester--not enough to live on! I know that my area is saturated with PhDs due to the Doctoral Machine of this central area (Go doctoral machine!). However, I am optimistic enough to hope that when I return there might be a place for me. Perhaps I can distinguish myself in some area or portion of my graduate career --enough to stand out above some of the others. It's a dream. It could happen! So I'll go work on that paper I must finish to present in the Spring. Gotta get published and NOT on a blog!

No comments: