Saturday, February 04, 2006

Saturday FEB 4.
HEY to all. I think I am close to getting out the word to everyone that I know that I have been accepted in Chicago. It did not come up last night in homegroup, although we had a wonderful time worshipping. Our leader is a real enthusiastic singer (and rowdy at football games) so we get to play the music really loud and stand up and have a good time with it. That really is the best way for me. I think the old hymnals in the pew might put me to sleep. However, God can be worshipped by all types of people and we each have our ways of drawing close and focusing on Him.
I am really excited about Chicago. I have barely been able to sleep. I am still not tired so I am running on Joy. I am going to have to get back down to work today, but I've had so much fun lately as I've pondered the things I will get to do----that I can hardly stand myself.

For a class of mine, we watched Dead Poets Society. We were to watch for leadership behaviors of certain people like the teacher, the head schoolmaster, some of the characters. In the end, a boy commits suicide because he was pursuing his dreams and his father would not allow it. When we had a class discussion, some students blamed the teacher for setting the young minds free to pursue their dreams which they felt led to a boy's suicide. I could not have disagreed more. It was the father to blame and he was looking to blame someone else, so the school used the teacher as a scapegoat so that the school could manage the crisis of credibility the tragedy had created. The director in no way insinuated that it was the fault of the teacher, it was the system and the times---I believe it was a serious criticique of traditionalism. But it is not that traditionalism is all wrong--and perhaps that is what some students in my class reacted to. The teacher could not have forseen such a consequence and it was not his fault. In that regard, it was the boy's fault for taking his life just because his father wouldn't let him have his way. Well, he could have finished school and refused to go to medical school when the time came. He could have chosen to submit (although angrily) for a time and then find his dreams when he could live on his own. His father truly WAS paying for everything--and that does entail obligation. He could have chosen to run away and then get some waiter job......there were so many more options to this story, but the director chose to have the suicide because it emphasized the WRONG ACTIONS ON THE PART OF THE FATHER!!!!!!! I believe THAT was the point. That the "shoulds" keep you from living your dreams---where you can find the most happiness. One student in my group brought up the fact that we have to be practical. And here I must agree. Yet, I know when I married my husband at the age of 17----I WAS FAR FROM PRACTICAL!!
Yet, I was following my heart and happy to do it. I paid for that choice, as all choices have a cost somewhere---and so just to say our kids should do what we want---that is lame. I have pressed my son into finishing high school and I was so angry when he was not immediately prepared to go into college. But eventually I realized--HEY....He is more important to me. I don't NEED to make him be a success in my eyes. True success if finding our own path and the satisfaction you get from productive work that uses your giftings and that gives to others. (well, that's my current definition). So I set my children free to find their own version of success. I have several friends who have NOT gone to college---or finished anyway, and they are finding plenty of joy and satisfaction being who they are and doing what they are doing today. It is for each to decide.
So let us all try to set each other free to be who we are. Let's help others discover where their dreams and talents lie. I read once that everyone has a dream. Sometimes the dream has died and so the person isn't sure what the dream is anymore, but with a little prodding, it comes back. Let's help each other find THAT. That is our destiny, that is God's gift to us. And for those who are fortunate to be able to follow their dreams, then with gratitude for the opportunity they must not forget to look back and bring others along.

No comments: