Wednesday, February 08, 2006

HARD THINKING


Wednesday morning and working on research paper. I have to go back and enter that mindset again, and this time---keep the qualitative comments out. My professor assures me that I will shine in the qualitative work, but I wrote a leadership paper (as I mentioned) and it is so lame. My team member for the group paper wrote that she was working on hers and "I think I have a winner!"......well, we'll see when she gets her grade. I, personally, am concerned for my grade because this teacher is a stickler for grammer and I have to write the paper in MLA. I am used to APA now, and I find it SO MUCH EASIER. Now, true, it is even harder than MLA in general because there is a rule for every little dot you stick on the paper and you have to look those up for a big paper.....but when you are just doing library research with a four page paper--oh my gosh, APA anyday. I like that you can just refer to their IDEAS and add the name and year. MLA needs a page all the time....and since I don't think in details, I have to find a specific THOUGHT of theirs that I want to use, instead of their overall message. But I like that they have the new plagerism program called TurnItIn.com. That way I get credit for not using other people's work. When I saw my group members contribution, she had mostly all quotes and a couple of transition sentences. I just don't respect work like that. Where is the thinking involved? You can't just tape other people's thoughts together and say you had a thought of your own. But even my thoughts all seem constructed by someone else. I have my own opinions, but I don't feel informed or ready to leap in with fresh independent ideas. I feel like I am still working on the foundation. But I like that the program I'm going into will be interdisciplinary--as things should have been. Now with the internet, different fields can share information more readily. I am not that interested in knowing everything about ONE THING---but that is what a PhD is---so at least I will be informed in an interdisciplinary way.

On another note. I am thinking of starting a Christian blog in addition to this one--but probably won't. Then the dichotomy might disturb me. And then I thought about making one that I let school people see. Shoot, I'd be on here all the time just TALKING TO MYSELF and pretending that someone was bothering to read it! I need to spend that time producing real work--so that is what I will go do.

No comments: