Sunday, October 15, 2006

Homeland Security














I am working on my homework. This week in proseminar we are discussing minorities and disparities and esteem issues and parenting and .....well, it goes on and on. There are some good articles like this one where the author talks about voluntary minorities and involuntary minorites (like native americans or african americans). How african americans may not want to learn to speak standard English and see it as detracting from their culture and as a requirement imposed on them. Whereas voluntary minorities, such as Asian immigrants, want to learn English and see it as additive. They are learning ANOTHER language and don't feel that this has any effect on their identity.
Then I'm writing a paper on genetic and environmental influences on longevity---how it was thought to reside in your genes, but when studied distinctly, there are such weak genetic links that it is mainly environmental. Even in twin studies---they've done some on twins born in 1890-1910 in three or four countries (like sweden, denmark..) ---about 10,000 twin sets! (and I'm not talking sweaters, ladies).

That is a pretty powerful amount. and it is something like at most, 4% heritable in women and maybe at most 1 % in men (and I think that is if you are a twin and what happens to your twin). I'm not likely making sense, it is all jumbled in my head.
and yes, I have to write a paper on it. 8 pages (not including cover sheet and references).

I've done most of the background work and thought of a cute way to start the paper. I'm going to start with this.....
“Who wants to live forever?” Rock band Queen sang the question in a ballad for the 1986 movie, The Highlander. Connor MacLeod, grieving, had outlived his bride, Heather, because he was immortal. The song continued, “…When love must die”. Conversely, most humans are still interested in a long, healthy life and investigations are under way to discover where the keys to longevity lay hiding.
In her New York Times article, “Live Long? Die Young? Answer Isn’t Just in Genes.” Gina Kolata reviews both stories from individuals and some of the latest research on genetic determinants of aging to see what treasures they hold for the future. Alas, she asserts that genes are not the determining factor in longevity. Although the pendulum has gone both ways in the past, both nature and nurture are seen as influential interacting across the entire developmental life span of the human being and often in complex ways.


Okay, so I don't have it worked out yet. The first sentences are still icky.
but I thought I'd see if she likes them clever.
You are always supposed to have good titles and catchy opening sentences. Well, I hope there are an infinite number of good openers out in the universe because I'm going to need a couple thousand before I leave this dimension.


No comments: