Monday, October 23, 2006

Monday--got a pic on here after all!


It was a good way to start a Monday with hubby here. But then he left. I managed to hold myself together---pretty rough! But if I can manage, then I want to capitalize on the stability I received from having him near me. I feel so much better. The world looks better.
and he bought me a big coat. It is a long (all the way to my shoes) black down coat with a hood lined with fur (like my little kippie) and it zips all the way up the front.
The air has turned arctic since......not sure--maybe Friday? Thursday? Wednesday? I don't know, but it was not too bad on Saturday and then it got REALLY cold and then rain came and I had my coat by then.

I'm working on economics and it is pretty dismal. There I was feeling all up to it, and then I go to work the problems by myself and I can't figure out where to put the substitution effects and the income effects. I could just guess, but I really want to make an educated guess. I'm understanding more about the principles. We just move so fast from one thing to another, but we are starting to repeat now.

We've done budget constraints (which are so easy now----I wish we could go back to those. and to think that I was thrown off course by those! oh well), elasticity, we're doing policy programs right now....
....like if workers were given 5,000 a year if they didn't work and/or 20% in addition to their wages and were able to work a job at $5 an hour, what would they do?
Well, giving money in a lump sum tends to be a dis-incentive to work. That part is pretty obvious to anyone, but then graphing it is not quite so easy. Then we look at the 20% addition to the wage. The good thing is that for the fellow who wants to work hard, he can make more. But there are many who are better off choosing NOT to work more and get the higher amount of money. But the lump sum is there to care for the ones who CANNOT work--yet some slackers get in on it.
When they make work-incentive programs, yes, many more people work---but then the handicapped widows are left with nothing. They cannot work.
and there are always price considerations of programs.---no one wants to pay too much for them.

and I TRIED to add a picture but the add-picture feature just isn't working. sorry. makes me sad. I like adding pictures sometimes.

Mr is at the airport. S got lost on the way. She's gone too far and had to stop and ask for directions and is headed back to take the exit off of the main interstate. So she's still about 30 minutes away and Mr is there---has waited 40 minutes already because his flight came in 30 minutes early!
that is so crazy! I can't believe it got there that early because the flight is not that long.

I'm trying to remember that God is more important than all of this and that none of it matters for eternity. Economics is important now, but I pray I can keep my anxiety down so that I can do what I CAN do instead of obsessing about what I can't do.

I really did like it better when I was at the top of the class. There have only been a couple of students better or equal to me---the ones that come to mind ALSO made it into good graduate schools. (TX A.M. and Claremont for a clinical psych in forensic).

and well, I'm not the best at math, don't like to do it and econ has a lot of it. and sometimes it is so easy, but I just blank out.
So any prayers for my economics mid-term would be helpful. Sending me a written one would be good (just to increase my faith) and I can assure you I will be relying on the Lord. Because He HAS put a good brain in there, but it is hard to wade through some of the gunk.
I do have a good test taking mentality and I usually have very very good focus when I take a test. That has served me very well and I am so thankful to God. It's like everything gets clear and narrows down to that one experience and one moment and I give myself totally to that test and I trust myself. Somehow it has always flowed. We'll see what happens in this environment, but I choose to think optimistically about test taking until proven otherwise.

No comments: