Saturday, October 21, 2006

My Mister

Well, hold the phones, MY MR. got promoted! Woo Hoo! He's a director! YES! YEA! YEAH!

We've waited and hoped it wasn't going to be in December or April! but there is no telling about these things--all super hush hush.
but the cat is out of the bag.
twenty three skidoo (actually--this one is not relevant).

He recently was given a raise as his company was instituting a retention program as incentive to the best and the brightest to remain within. Along with that came a bonus next year about this time and then the two years after that (Christmas aid!)
So YES, I AM bragging.
but geesh! Wouldn't YOU? (Maybe you are even more humble or self-deprecating than I am---and I hardly even know that word) but I am very pleased and he is pleased as well.

When we were young and he had big dreams, we didn't think of him being a director at a big company. No, he was hoping for a really strong mid-range job ---and he's been very very happy with the job he has. He has actually been functioning as a director since before last november when he moved over into services development. It was part of his performance plan to show that he could leverage his skills across business segments and IT segments---which he has more than demonstrated.
I mean, gosh darn it! I am so proud of my baby!
I have sure raised him well. He's a good boy! and I love love love him.

He came up here Thursday and all is right with my world. I had to go to some all day conferences but he came to one of the receptions (or two) and got to meet a couple of people--including my advisor.
Then afterwards, he came and picked up some of the cohort (D drove the rest of em) and we all met up at a place in town for some eats and laughs.
I have a great cohort and a great hubby. I was telling everyone--"Hey, S got promoted to director!" and they'd be saying, "Congratulations!" and I was embarrassing him--so I quit that--but it was fun. I was so proud. and still am.
Such a big company. It is a tremendous vote of confidence. The pyramid gets mighty tight up top. It goes ------Head of the Company (we all know him!)---then he has a partner--can't think of what they call him--but they function like equals--so I don't know if you say that so-and-so is under the big name of the company or what!
Well, then there is the CIO of IT. Then there is Mr's boss.
So ....
Big name, CIO, Acting or soon to be VP, and Director SR.
It blows my mind (but not, since I've been expecting it for about 2 years---maybe a little more. Since I decided to go for the PhD (2004), I gave Mr the green light to go for the Director. I knew it would take significant cognitive resources, but I was heading into the long tunnel myself, so we felt we were in a time of our lives when we could afford to start investing in that way. The children are nearly out of the house (not sure if we ever officially get to announce that as done!).

So Mr took that opportunity to start the process and now, sure enough, here he is! Now he'll have to figure out new goals and values. I've informed him that his next developmental step is to think of what he'd like to accomplish that goes BEYOND some object that is bigger and more expensive (to think beyond big cars, big houses, etc so that the next goal is not just a "bigger" something---but maybe a "deeper" something since our material goals are so achievable).

What a weird place to be. But in it all, we honor God because there are plenty of people as hard-working, smart, and good-looking (well, maybe not as good looking) as Mr, but he has made it into a circle of a select few.

and now with me working in a doctoral program that develops policies to fight poverty---my husband has become an executive.
Oh my----it is the disparities equation!


Well, these are good problems to have.
I've been rich and I've been poor----and rich is better.
Let us consider wisely how we will disperse our resources!

Forgive me for my joy! I am really happy and thankful.

No comments: