Thursday, July 20, 2006

The Lord


The Lord is a refreshing drink of water to a parched soul (and to a filled soul as well.)

I went to church last night and was so blessed. I've been reading my Bible and praying in preparation for a spiritual retreat on Friday and it is so welcome to my soul! My hearts cry to the Lord was to please refresh, renew and revive my heart as I prepare to go North.

I know that once I begin schooling, I will be heads down and praying for Grace, Mercy and writing ability. For cognitive skills, for memory. It is true that I get so dependent.

I was in the church bookstore perusing their offerings. It was a fairly good selection, not too deep, though (that's okay). One really light book was on personality. With interest, I flipped through the pages. Similar to the sanguine, choleric, melancholy, phlegmatic grouping, this book represented only four types. I cannot remember them all. The sanguine was the dependent type, I suppose.....and the choleric-the controlling type. I did not make a strong mental note of the others, so I've forgotten.

But it turns out I'd be the dependent type. Well, I wasn't too thrilled with that designation. Someone who needs a lot of encouragement, who cannot stand criticism at all, one defining statement was, "I cannot be happy unless I have the perfect strong and caring mate" or something like that. I thought to myself---well, good thing I have that! Not that he's perfect, but certainly strong, caring, supportive. I guess I picked right after all. Not that he doesn't grate on me at times, and I on him......but we are well matched. I thought about how good for my soul that I know Jesus Christ, another perfect strong and caring One!

God does meet all our needs. Sometimes we need someone with skin on, as we said at Vineyard, and so we need to be god to one another. Let Him move through us.

It is well with my soul. I remember all His benefits, who forgives all of my sin, heals all my diseases, who satisfies my desires with good things so that my youth is renewed like the eagles.
So I praise Him. I feel very safe and trusting. I know I will continue to know His will throughout this forray into the unknown. I want to be a light to the nations, but I must be prepared! I want to tell others, but I must be shining and salty!

When I am close to God, my heart is so full of love. I may still be my antsy, spazo (read spazo with an "a" sound like apple", coming from the word spasm) self----but inside will be a calm.
So I always tried to emulate this calm, peaceful, zen like state of relating, but HEY, it is just not me. I am energy, I am enthusiasm (when I'm at my best anyway) and I love new things, new ideas, and exploration.

I wanted to be the picture of Mother Theresa. Well, I've hardly managed THAT, now, have I?!?

I made a new blog, www.christianrivers.blogspot.com but I don't think I'll use that one. I'll just keep using this one. I'll use this one to keep family and friends updated to what is going on in my life.

God is good, and here are some of His Names in the NIV version of the Bible (I'm currently reading the NASB, but I've memorized so many scriptures in the NIV that I start to skim when I'm reading instead of slowly absorbing the Word of God). There is a list in the back of the Experiencing God study book. Meditate on the ones that mean the most to you:

God of all comfort
Father of compassion
He who reveals His thoughts to man
a refuge for His people
an ever present help in time of need
God of truth
God who avenges me (hey, everyone likes this one occasionally)
God who gives endurance and encouragement
him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we can ask or imagine
my advocate
Holy One
my strong deliverer
Wonderful Counselor
Our Redeemer
the consuming fire
the God who sees me
the one who sustains me
you who judge righteously and test the heart and mind
Alpha and Omega
author and perfector of our faith
Faithful and True
bread of life
bridegroom
him who loves us and has freed us from our sins
Savior
Jesus Christ
Voice of the Lord
Spirit of wisdom and understanding
Spirit of wisdom and revelation
Teacher
good shepherd
Spirit of counsel and Power
spirit of grace and supplication
Immanual (God with us)
merciful and faithful high priest
Lamb
my intercessor
Son of the Most High God
Spirit of the Living God
Spirit of the Sovereign Lord
The only God our Savior
The Way
The Truth
The Life
The only way to get to God
Jehovah
Yahweh

He is ever living! May He be praised forever! Let the people's praise Him!
Our God is an Awesome God!

No comments: