Tuesday, September 19, 2006

First official school day

Today I went to my stats class. Woo Hoo.....super duper easy. It's like a review....again, very easy. Now that doesn't mean that doing the homework won't be hard. I don't like having to do that kind of stuff. It just won't really be challenging....and I really like that, because there is so much reading! so much so much so much.

Then I went to the seminar class.
It was good. I had not finished all my reading because I got so into all the materials given to me for the research I'll be working on. I read 3 instructional papers, the protocol, the mail-in questionairre with so many instruments measuring stuff like right-wing authoritarianism, values, faith, personality....it takes about 2 hours to fill out on its own. I was trained yesterday in interviewing and that takes about 2 hours. all that was fun fun fun and interesting.
I have to get certified so I am taking a class (like defensive driving) online which may take all week, but I'll push through---monotonous.
Then I will start interviewing next week.

But in the seminar class, we talked about so much stuff that it didn't matter that I hadn't read a couple. My classmates discussed them. I didn't even discuss the half that I DID read. There were other things to comment on. It was interesting. Very long class about three hours. She talks about all this great research though. Makes you want to do ten thousand things!

Then all six of us (my first year cohort of accepted hdsp students) went to a place like an irish pub, so I had some fish and chips (when I saw the malt vinegar on the table, I said, "Woo Hoo!" there must be some fish and chips around here somewhere! and there were)

today I actually DID not get a new blister!
wow!
what a kind world we live in

but I threw everything around everywhere getting ready today in the apt.
so that I have a lot of mess to clean up.

but I have no class tomorrow!!!!


so I'll get right on the online class---oh wait, I need a stats text book. POOPY! and I'm still missing two text books.

I'll have that stats homework to do but it isn't due until Sept 28th.
there will be no midterm and the final is a take-home which we can fax in from the bahamas, he said.
and there is no class on "reading week"---whatever that is, I guess the week before finals----because there is nothing to read!

and then my seminar class does not have a final either, but a 12 page report on a faculty member (and I have YOU KNOW WHO!!)
and so we'll see about the
Economics of Social Policy Class.

Just doesn't sound inspiring, but I get excited about everything. So surely it will lift me to new heights in the area of social policy. hmmmmnnnnn. I'll keep you posted.

Nearly time for a video cam with Mr.

No comments: