Saturday, September 23, 2006

Mothers Against Ignorance

Here is my friend C, whom I am uber proud of, proud with and taking pride in. She's another mom my age with a passle of kids whose gone through a ton, but come out with a Masters in Biology. Woo Hoo!

Great encouragement as I begin work on a PhD. I found out I do NOT get a Masters on the way, as I formerly thought. They aren't doing that now. It wouldn't help me anyway because I've got to have the full PhD to teach, but DANG. I would have liked a sure thing if I needed to withdraw.

Today was my first day to do real work---I was interviewing a participant for a faith and politics study. It was really hot out---I did not expect that---but I knew I get really hot walking all the way to the university, so I wore something light and had an overcoat. I brought my umbrella because there are thunderstorms today.
well, when I walked outside,YUK. Horrid humidity and it was very hot. It said it was only 70---this did not feel like 70. In Texas, 70 degrees is pretty cold. Not here. Whew, it was HOT. VERY muggy. Way more like Arkansas. I took the overcoat off and stuck it in my bag.

So it felt about like 80 to me or worse, with a slight bit of coldness in the air. but with the humidity that thick, that slight bit of cold was no comfort whatsoever.
I was immediately sweating.
by the time I got to the school, just short of a mile later, I was drenched! I had sweat popping out in beads on my forehead and running down. And my back was no different. That was not going to be good for the interview!

I headed to my office where I have a small fan kept just for such a moment----bu tthere was an entry door to the offices area. It was locked. My key didn't work in that door. No one was around. DANG.

I headed upstairs to get the interview room ready. I tried my new key in the door and it did not work. I tried again. Okay, how about a miracle? I prayed and tried again. Nope. Okay. Problem-solving. I tried my other key. I tried other doors. Other doors would not really help, I needed a recorder to do an interview.

I called the lead investigator. She was in Highland Park shopping and wouldn't be able to get to me any time soon. She suggested I call another person who had a key. I tried him, but got a voicemail. I continued sweating profusely because the building was heated (very very unnecessarily, I might add) and I tried to drink some cold water to offset my body temp.

Eventually the participant called me saying she was on this particular road nearby and would be just a bit late. I was able to tell her to turn around and go back. I apologized. I was embarrassed, she was disappointed, but she took it well. We will reschedule.

I headed home and called a student who found my student ID which I'd dropped when jogging yesterday and emailed me. I met her at her building, which was on my way home anyway (nice) and she came out to give it to me.
Again, by the time I got home I was all sweaty anew.
Horrors!
I came home and washed all my clothes, ate some lunch and crashed. I napped for .........a couple hours I think. The crisis had wiped me out.

I spent time talking to my sister that morning. I had rushed to school after chatting for about an hour with her. That may have started the whole overheated saga. I had a good talk with big sis. Yesterday was her birthday and I gave her a call and left her a message.
She's doing good and getting a new job. She has a couple good ones lined up, so that's very positive. Blessings on her endeavors.

That's my day. I was going to go shopping with my friend's son, but the rain has dampened enthusiasm. I just talked to him and he's wiped out from all the work they are putting him through in acting school. He has very long days--12 hours or so. He does workouts each day and he's trying to lose 25 pounds (no small amount!). He's exhausted.

We've decided to try next weekend. It should be sunny then. I'd like to see the Magnificent Mile on Michigan Ave. It looked really cool from the car windows when Mr was here. But I'd like to get OUT of the car and into the shops.

Off to do schoolwork.....

No comments: