Friday, September 22, 2006

Whew! Heard the sound of a tornado!

* AT 549 PM...A TRAINED SPOTTER REPORTED A TORNADO AND RADAR INDICATED ROTATION NEAR PARK RIDGE... MOVING EAST AT 10 MPH.
* THE TORNADO IS WILL BE NEAR... MORTON GROVE BY 600 PM NORTHFIELD BY 610 PM SKOKIE BY 615 PM WILMETTE HARBOR...WILMETTE AND WINNETKA BY 620 PM EVANSTON AND KENILWORTH BY 625 PM ROGERS PARK BY 630 PM
DO NOT WAIT UNTIL YOU HEAR OR SEE THE TORNADO. TAKE SHELTER NOW.
GO TO THE BASEMENT AND SEEK SHELTER UNDER THE STAIRS OR UNDER A HEAVY PIECE OF FURNITURE.
A TORNADO WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1100 PM FRIDAY EVENING FOR NORTHEASTERN ILLINOIS.


that is what I saw on weather.com.
First it sounded like someone was throwing rocks at my window, then it got severe. Then I heard this loud rushing sound like a train. Except it didn't sound like the Metra (I live near the metra and hear that dimly each day). Well, Dad always said, "When you hear the train coming, take cover."
so I went to weather.com and punched in my zip code.
Uh-oh
It said a tornado was spotted by ......oh man, I forgot!.....something like,....by visual or indicated by radar. Seek shelter immediately.
Well, Mr had laughed at me because I leave my keys and shoes right on the kitchen bar by the door. That way, if I must exit immediately in the night or something, I know where to go. My mother used to say to always have shoes on the floor in case we had a tornado, I would not have to step on broken glass.
So the advice of Dad and Mom became quite relevant and I grabbed my stuff, left my kitty, and went to the basement. There were actually several people there, but there was not the sign of any alarm anywhere. But I know the crowd effect is such that people will do what other people are doing.....so a tornado might be coming but if no one is taking shelter, everyone thinks they are wrong to do it or something.
I finally accosted a young asian man who had come from above (the outdoors) and he said he had not seen a tornado, but the rain had come so suddenly like a wall, wuush and he was so scared for his life! But he just wanted to get back up to his apartment. I wasn't sure where I should be just yet. I considered getting in my car, but I kept thinking of the twin towers and all those squished people (well, I suppose they disintegrated) but it made the basement safety not as comforting.
I was stressed that I could not contact Mr by phone or text. I didn't like that at all. I just wanted him to know I loved him. I wanted to text the kids, but didn't want to scare them. L would be particularly frightened if she couldn't be sure I was okay, so I didn't text because I knew I was just being a drama queen and really everything would be fine.
and sure enough.
I'm back in the apt typing on my blog.
and still have plenty of homework to do.
at least I had finished cooking my pork fried rice with egg and carrots. Yum.

No comments: