Sunday, March 12, 2006

Big Dreams


Contribute to humanity. I have a dream. When I get discouraged by racial or social class disparity, I do try and remember how far we've come. But there is so far to go!

My tall white son tells me of a TV show where a black family and a white family trade places. The white man says that sometimes the expectation of the black people cause trouble to come to them (I do not remember the quote---that is the gist of it). My son thinks that there is some truth to that.
My tall white son says this and I am so discouraged.

When has he known prejudice? He is not a female and he is not dark. He is the priviledged. My husband is too. They cannot know how it feels to be dismissed due to your skin. I really would not have known either because I was raised in California and my parents never subjected me to prejudice discussions. I moved to Louisiana at age 12 to find that you were either black or white--and I was white there. But when I moved to Texas--I had a couple of occasions (three for sure) where someone thought I was hispanic in a derogatory way....and believe me, I knew it immediately. Now, I was so shocked by the unspoken but obvious prejudice, I did not bring it on myself by expecting it to occur. Even then, I was outraged, but did not want to justify their prejudice by denying that I was hispanic. But I admit that it made me ashamed of my skin. And want to be white. and not understand how these things happen. and I realized that the black people in LA, MS, and AR were not dramatizing the problem---they KNEW in their guts when someone dissed them.

So I want to help underrepresented minorities to succeed in the academic field. As I succeed, I will mentor others and be the pipeline for faculty representation matching undergraduate graduation rates.....and I'd like to improve that too! More on that soapbox later, but I get SOOO upset at the white men and women who angrily say that they have "made" it by their hard work and that blacks have the same opportunities. Baloney.

No comments: