Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Trip North and my daughter


Laura is having a down swing again. She is back at school and her routine is disrupted because he is not there. She has tried going to classes. Today she is supposed to go drop a few. I was hoping all her friends would drag her out, but when I call, she is in her dorm watching TV. She is crying and depressed. Please pray for her and remember his mother, father, and brother, too.

It is strange having two diametrically opposed (emotion-wise) experiences. One of the most tragic experiences in my life is occurring at the same time as one of the highest points in my life. This is certainly NOT a boring period.

So on the up note, my trip to the big city was fantastic. Northern cities are quite different from what I am familiar with, but I do enjoy change.

I arrived by plane at night, so I could not see much. Then we drove on small streets all the way there, which I found odd since I take I-35 most days, and the shops are little ones crammed together (like in India) except with buildings over them. It looked like Seinfield sets. The people were all bundled up. I was fortunate to have great weather. It was cold, but the wind was not high.

I went to a student's apartment which was brick, three or four story shaped like a "C" with a courtyard in the center. It was gated. Then you go in a door to a staircase which has access to only two apartments per floor. Her apartment had hardwood floors, 2 bedrooms, 1 bath--very pottery barn and artsy. I LOVED IT. (however--I have four bathrooms at home and cannot imagine only having one bathroom! I prefer a private personal one and a public pristine one at a minimum).

She showed me some of the little city around the campus in the morning and it was beautiful. Very nice suburb with huge rich homes and then cute little newer shops along the main streets.
Brick is very common, it looks very nice. The campus is great. I liked it very much. There weren't many people out for some reason, but it was all beautiful. I was impressed and just continue to be surprised I am there. I couldn't help but wonder if they let me in on the minority ticket (which WAS my plan, of course) because I met the other students and they were so impressive.

I went to the morning meeting and THERE WAS MY PROFESSOR! He looked just like his pictures and was very friendly. The other students had not accepted yet, so the whole day was set up to convince us that this was the place to go. When we introduced ourselves, I have no idea what I said, something dorky!
The other students were from Princeton, Georgetown, Wellesley, and two from University of Chicago--and me. And they had their masters already! I was so excited to be there!!! They all impressed me so much. There was one other guy and he had done his undergrad at that school--he told me after dinner that my excitement got him excited and he was going to accept! So at least I am good for something! I helped them get one of their candidates in.
The stuff they were all interested in was so fascinating, too. I would be here writing for quite some time--but I'll skip it for now.
We met about 8 professors who told us what they were working on and we met with our individual possible advisors (except for me --he IS my advisor). We had lunch with a bunch of grad students which was really fun. We introduced ourselves again for the forty seventh time--which was hard on me because I am so dorky happy! But I finally got my shpiel together and made it academic "I'm interested in narrative identity theory, autobiographical memory and the way people tell their story to make sense of their lives" something like that. At first I was saying, "I've got three children 21, 18, and 16 and I've been married 23 years and he won't be coming with me--so that will be hard but he is very supportive" (dork) Then sometime I remembered to say that I was a psychology major and an organizational communication minor. and then I said something about Texas and the rose bowl.
I met the other students that work with my advisor. They were fun and I think we'll get along great. I had a meeting with him and I loved it. he had a wall of books and I asked him about different ones. which reminds me that I am going to write him about a summer reading list.

So I flew home and had a BUMPY ride---glad for dramamine which makes it tolerable. I would have been screaming or....nevermind, I took dramamine, it was fine. Enough of that, suffice to say I had a wonderful time and I'm looking forward to all the fun hard work.

Please pray for Laura. She really needs it. Thanks.

No comments: