Thursday, March 09, 2006

Children's Thinking


Thursday morning. I have to read some heavy chapters. So far I have already read Piajet's theory of development, information-processing theories of development, and sociocultural theories of development. Then I read perceptual development, language development, memory development, and conceptual development. I wrote a paper on each one of those last four.

Now I have read The development of social cognition, and still have to read problem solving and The development of academic skills. Then I must write a paper on each of those chapters. It is very technical information and I'm finding it difficult to stay focused. With all that has happened, my concentration abilities are way down. I find myself reading SO SLOW and then not always remembering what I read---unusual for me. I am too lazy to painstakingly write out notes as I read--although that is a foolproof way to remember what you read. So I am just marking up the book (not high-lighting, as that is EXTREMELY INEFFECTIVE!) but I am circling words, underlining, re-writing comments in the margin, etc. More of an interactive book marking procedure.

I need to write these papers and then I will need to do an experiment with children. I have two friends with 11 children between them. I may ask them to let me borrow their children briefly. I already know about what I plan to do. But I do need to pull this off. As easy as reading seems to be, I am finding it difficult. And then I went to write the paper on social cognition yesterday, but I passed out in a delerium of exhaustion instead---slept for three hours straight and still could barely get up. Then had a migraine just a couple of hours later---not what I'd call a good productive day!

So I need prayer. I am afraid I'm wearing out my prayer buddies. With the situation with Laura, I have continually asked for prayer. People are just people and have a limited amount of patience. The situation with Laura is going to continue for a very long time.

However, on a very kind note, the man who photographed Brandon with a professional grade camera, sent me a large poster sized framed picture of Brandon on the soccer field in his senior year. It is an excellent picture and we have hung it in our front room (where the tv is). How precious a gift. I need to contact him and thank him.

In spite of all that has occurred, I was shocked and grateful to still make an A for the class that was only seven weeks. It had all that work crammed into 7 weeks--and you think you might die trying to get it all done so quickly---then I was accepted to grad school on Feb 8 (I got the call during classtime) and then Brandon passed on Feb 14. By God's Grace, I went to class on the 15th and the 22nd and completed my long in-depth final paper, which was over 1/5 of my final grade. I finished with an A!! God is good and I was so grateful. I had just about given up the whole summa cum laude thingy and figured it didn't matter since I made it into grad school---but now I am endeavoring to finish my last two classes with a 4.0. After all, I only have TWO classes! I can pull this, I know.

I went ahead and declined an opportunity to present my research at my school's research conference, since I am presenting a poster at the Southwestern Psychological Association in April. That takes a small load off and it was optional--not a requirement. I am delaying working on refining a paper I wrote last semester. My hope was to get it to grad school quality with the work of my professor--but I'll work on that after I finish these classes.

I read some other ladies blog by just hitting the "next blog" button at the top right of this screen--and she had just finished this 20k race with her hubby. Wish I could do that sort of thing! I hear it is addictive. And a good addiction, I'd say. Beats the brownies I got into last night after making them for Laura per request.

Blessings to all my family and friends. I find myself acutely worrying that someone is going to die suddenly. I speak AGAINST that, yet I do realize we cannot stay in this form forever. I am glad I have grad school to look forward to--a lifelong dream coming true! I could not have imagined that there would come a day when I would get to talk psych all the time. Hooray! Dreams do come true.

But if my life should end prematurely, know that I was living my life to the fullest and following my dreams. I want to live on the edge--even if it costs. Brandon taught me that. We'll miss him forever, but he lived his life fully. We can too.

No comments: